Scafolding towers and outriggers

it3986

Our H&S adviser has insisted that we use the outriggers on our access tower in all situations which is a little difficult when over 1/2 the bars are in inaccessible places meaning to get to the lamps comfortably the tower needs to be pushed up tight to unmovable fixtures (seating, walls, thrust etc...) So what does one do, our advisor has looked at the manufacturer standard instructions and set this rule but in the opinion of those who use the tower it has such a wide base any way (8ft x 4ft) for its height (only 18ft max at the highest platform) and the instructions are only general for the tower type which can be built to a much higher level with the same standard safety rules.

Your opinions and advise on arguments to have the rule modified appreciated.

Ian

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd suggest that he's right to insist that you use them.

(Our tower has a larger base than that, and we always use the outriggers)

However, there are different arrangements of positioning the outriggers - for example when against a wall the tower cannot fall through the wall, so the outriggers are positioned to prevent falls in the other directions.

Look at the places you use the tower, and see if there are any arrangements you are both happy with. Scaff towers are pretty dangerous items!

I remember hearing somewhere that a 10 foot drop has around a 50% chance of death or serious injury.

That isn't very far to fall, so don't get blasé!

Ok so maybe I overestimated this initially the maximum height is only 12ft (and its the grid we are working to which is 18ft) at most which keeps it in the magic 3.5 : 1 which everyone (but the manufacturer) seems to quote

Simple answer is that you should always use out riggers on your tower. If there is a situation where it is not possible to use one or all of them, your risk assessment should detail this long with the additional measures you have taken (if any) to prevent the tower falling.

The ABTT have a course coming up at the Northern Ballet Theatre Workshops in Leeds (one day course on 4th & 5th June).

This one day course is designed to enable theatre staff to inspect correctly the kind of scaffold, towers and ladders used in theatres. It includes the dismantling, safe erection and safe use of aluminium towers. It reviews current regulations and the importance of record keeping. There is a strong practical bias to this course. Course Cost £120 + VAT Thursday & Friday 24/25th June To register contact office@abtt.org.uk

I am sure the subject of outriggers in restricted locations will be covered and you will have a copy of the course notes to show your H&S adviser what the industry guidelines are.

Oh, VERY useful!

I shall have to have a chat with our venue safety technician and get a few of us on that course.

Heck, I'll pay for mine myself if they won't cover it.

The ABTT have a course coming up at the Northern Ballet Theatre Workshops in Leeds (one day course on 4th & 5th June).

This one day course is designed to enable theatre staff to inspect correctly the kind of scaffold, towers and ladders used in theatres. It includes the dismantling, safe erection and safe use of aluminium towers. It reviews current regulations and the importance of record keeping. There is a strong practical bias to this course. Course Cost £120 + VAT Thursday & Friday 24/25th June To register contact office@abtt.org.uk

I am sure the subject of outriggers in restricted locations will be covered and you will have a copy of the course notes to show your H&S adviser what the industry guidelines are.

Does anyone know if there is an age limit for this course?

Does anyone know if there is an age limit for this course?

I would guess 16, because there's legislation preventing minors working at a height.

But give them a call, as it may well be 18.

Ok so maybe I overestimated this initially the maximum height is only 12ft (and its the grid we are working to which is 18ft) at most which keeps it in the magic 3.5 : 1 which everyone (but the manufacturer) seems to quote

The 3.5:1 ratio you mentioned was an old "rule of thumb" as far as I am aware.

If the manufacturer's instructions say you must use the outriggers beyond the first level then thats what you have to do.

Read the Management Regs for info on young people at work with regard to risk.

As a non-employee, you would be an "other person" in legal terms and there are definite duties placed on employers under the 1974 Act and the regulations made under it.

See also:

The Health and Safety (Young Persons) Regulations 1997

The Children (Protection at Work) (No. 2) Regulations 2000.

Well, you asked...................

Archived