Allan & Heath Zed 14

oligoon

ok - after a couple of gigs using my PV10 mixer instead of borrowing the GL2200 that I normally use I'm frustrated with the lack of features (like being able to easily listen to a single input channel on the headphones) and the poor sound quality.

at this point I'm sure there's many of you thinking "I coulda told you that", and I don't really mind if you feel compelled to tell me now <_<

so what I'm looking at is one of the small A&H mixers like the Zed 14. Anyone used these? Will I notice a big difference in sound quality from the GL2200?

any other comment?

cheers and happy new year!

Hi, I use a GL220 frequently. The aspects that make it suitable for me that although it is still a relatively small desk the flexibility that it offers is very good. I use the desk for a mixture of live band mixing and also sometimes taking the direct outs and aux into recording hardware. The ability to swap around how the desk uses and sends the AUX outputs and the Group outputs at the push of a button is a feature that I also find helpful. The eq section is also good on them as well.

This was more intended to be a review from a user of the desk of the aspects of the desk that I like and how it's flexability works for my needs. Hope this helps you in some way.

Alex.

at this point I'm sure there's many of you thinking "I coulda told you that", and I don't really mind if you feel compelled to tell me now <_<

OK.. "I could have told you that!" ;-)

The Z14 doesn't have many mic inputs, and unless you actually want the inbuilt soundcard and routing features, you are paying for stuff you don't need.

The PA series is workable, but you will miss some of the GL2200 features.

I would suggest your best bet is to get one of the Mixwizards... GL series quality and features in a 19" rackmounting frame.

Simon

While the Zed14 is a fine board for the money, it's probably aimed a bit more at the home recording market than live work--it even comes bundled with some recording software. If the GL2200 is your point of comparison, I'm not sure you'd ever be totally happy with the Zed14. For example, the channel EQ is only 3 band with only the midrange swept. This would make precise adjustment difficult in a live situation.

I can third the suggestion of the MixWizard as more suitable for live work....or, how about looking for a second hand GL2200 if that's the board you really like. They do come on the market from time to time at pretty good prices. I don't recommend second hand for every manufacturer but A&H build well and have a good support department.

Bob

We have a Zed 14 that was purchased to use on jobs where a GL2400 is just overkill. Typically corporate gigs that want some powerpoint with sound, a little 'background' or walk-in music and one or two mic's. For this type of job we find them ideal, one reason being the USB input. To date we have never suffered from the dreaded "laptop hum". Very handy when presented by

the client with the only copy of their prized presentation on a laptop most of us would hesitate to use as a door stop...

BUT

For any other use we use, and I would suggest you use..... a Mix Wizard

Don't waste your money on an A&H PA series desk they are absolute ***** . IMHO . No Auxes to speak of , no groups but they do have BGM control though .

I agree that they are not very good boards compared with other offering. We have one that goes out on jobs where a small footprint is a key feature. As much as I would love to take the bigger desk everywhere sometimes the venue dictates my choice of FOH equipment and in that situation it is worth its (light) weight in gold.

I do find the lack of aux sends a shade annoying as I like to run aux fed subs so soon run out of sends but for the right (read simple) gig they are very useable desks which are easy to use for a beginner.

I would also second (third/fourth) the mix wizard and would shy away from some of the cheaper Yamaha units such as the MG range as personally I have never liked the sound on them and find the gain control somewhat sensitive.

Archived