Monitoring. 10" or 12"?

tolley1466

I can vouch for the Studio Spares stuff, for the money they are very good, I have a small PA which is all Studio Spare Auditorium range and it works very well. The horns can be a little harsh. I have not tried it but I am fairly sure they can be bi-amped which should improve the sound further.

I know most people don't like Behringer stuff, but I borrowed 2 x 15" monitors from a friend who has done FOH for lots of major touring acts. I was sceptical but they performed extremely well. I eq'd them with a graphic but even flat they were not too bad at all. I was very surprised.

As for the 10" vs 12" question, I have not used that particular brand of monitor but it depends on what your using them for. Most touring bands insist on 15" wedges, quite a lot of the time its psychological they look bigger so the artist assumes they are louder, so in that case go for the 12"

If they are for carting round the country 10's are going to be lighter and take up less room in your trailer/van.

I hope this helps you.

Chris

After a recommendation on this forum we went for 4 x Turbosound TXD12M's for our band which I think we got for about £380 each and they have been fantastic. Very sturdy (they will probably outlast everything else in the van!) and fantastic clear sound, even with no EQ. :blink:

Highly recommended.

cheers!

mike

I don't know if it's entirely psychological- I've always found a correlation between those who want 15" wedge pairs and those who want loads of kick in their monitor!

Sorry it was a bit of a sweeping statement, I was refuring more to use with vocals. I made it due to personal experience at the last venue I worked at where we had 3 pairs of 12" bi-amped wedges and 1 pair of passive 15".

The Martin LE range of monitors are superb, we have the LE1500's and they are fantastic either run active or passive, probably the best monitors I have ever used, but you get what you pay for and they are not cheap.

Chris

It actually surprised me just how inexpensive the LE's were.

Martin will still make you LE400's if you want them, but they're actually MORE money than the new LE1500's which are IMO a much better monitor. Even the LE2100's are not overpriced for what they are.

As you say, they're not CHEAP, but it did surprise me, and yes you get what you pay for.

I'm not sure if I've heard them Mike, I can't remember. However, nothing but good reports. I'll have to have a listen.

I'm very open minded about stuff, I'm happy to give everything a chance, even soundlab and the likes. You can often stumble across some great sounding boxes that cost next to nothing. The only thing you have to be careful is "soud isn't everything" they have to be reliable, and built well, and if you work to riders, rider friendly. Soundlab isn't. Trouble is, all too often EM isn't either. That is however because the people that create the riders are often stupid.

if you have an open mind......and dont need to worry about riders......

W Audio (Warrior/Prolight) PSR12A or PSR15A both active powered boxes, the 12's chucking out 124db and around £400 a pair is amazing. The Sound is rather nice. I have a pair of the 12's and im very happy, funnily enough 2 weeks after I bought mine, I showed up to a big show where I just Djing on the hire companys kit and the Band Monitors were 6 x PSR15A's (although they had gaffa taped over the badges haha) and once again, im very impressed (the 15's are about £450 a pair) You can also rotate the horn to give better dispersion when used as a monitor

Although not a selling point, but handy, they include custom covers (which can even stay on during performances, you can unzip the front and back only if required, very handy for a plastic cab!

Archived