Monitoring. 10" or 12"?

tolley1466

I assume you want to use these as stage monitors - in this case IMHO the 12" would be the minimum useful size, lots of artistes prefer 15" wedges, although 12" often suffice, however I can't see anything less than 12" being much use and certainly not rider friendly*

*not sure how imporatant this is as you have not specified the proposed usage

For this range of boxes I'd certainly look at the 12's rather than the 10's. A single 12 will do a reasonable job for general monitoring purposes but I'd prefer to see a pair for louder stuff and lead vocalists etc. A suitable sub may also be required for a drum fill.

However, if you are doing a pair per mix on everything then you may find that a pair of 10's does the job better than a single 12. Of course, on the market today there are 10's that will outperform the 12's you speak of so it's important to note we're talking about a specific range of boxes here.

15's? Yes, alot of people request them, simply because they TEND to be louder. But the majority of 15's particularly cheaper ones tend to exceed 30kg per box. Most 12's in pairs will be much clearer, louder and more balanced (due to their physical position) than a single 15. And perhaps only a few kg heavier.

JOHN! I thought you'd died..... or stayed in bed....

Sorry....OT

Have been too busy to even turn on my laptop Rob :biggrin:

Still alive, enjoy the money tonight mate, I'm working as well so no drinking either.. boo.

Oh and to stay OT, can your budget go to IEM's for the whole band tolley?

I love my monitors but the mrs prefers her senn IEM's.

Just a thought.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERONE!!!!

:unsure:

JOHN! I thought you'd died..... or stayed in bed....

Sorry....OT

Have been too busy to even turn on my laptop Rob :biggrin:

Still alive, enjoy the money tonight mate, I'm working as well so no drinking either.. boo.

Oh and to stay OT, can your budget go to IEM's for the whole band tolley?

I love my monitors but the mrs prefers her senn IEM's.

Just a thought.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERONE!!!!

:unsure:

The only problem with IEM's is that not everyone will have their own earphones as it is extremely un-hygienic.

But would be nice!

Happy new year to you too!!!

Archived