Soundcaft EFX8

onemanband

Twelve months ago, I bought a Soundcraft EFX8 mixing desk, because it ticked all the right boxes; compact, eight mic + two stereo line inputs, mid sweep eq., but most of all, on board "Lexicon" progammable fx., that I understood to be one of the top names in fx.brands.

However, during these twelve months, the Lexicon effects have from time to time been unreliable, randomly changing the fx parameters I had programmed, not a major problem and one easily remedied.

The final straw came last night when the effects failed altogether and I was left with no fx. at all.

Question is, has anyone else experienced similar problems with this particular mixer or any Lexicon "onboard" fx.

(I have to add that the suppliers are honouring the guarantee despite it being out of the guarantee period by one day and have offered a free repair. However, I was considering another of the same as future backup depending on the response to this post).

Cheers..........Brian

Don't think I'll bother again :P

Well, I looked at your original post, thought, "of the various Soundcraft desks I have owned or sold that have got Lexicon FX built in, none of them have ever gone wrong", and decided that I had nothing to tell you...

However, if you feel a backup is in order, why not buy an external FX unit? Usually, they are more flexible, and have the added benefit that they can be used with other mixers...

Simon

Sorry for the lack of reply but I was in the same situation as Simon Lewis. I've never used the model you have but the two Soundcraft mixers with in-built Lexicon effects that I HAVE used (an FX16 and the old digital 324 Live) never had any problems with the effects unit.

Like Simon, if it was my money I'd buy a separate effects unit (likely a TC electronics one which I prefer to the Lexicon) rather than a second mixer.

Bob

We have 2 EFX8 in constant use, faders have worn, TRS sockets worn but no internal faults. They get hammered but are very reliable. They are used as portable desks, being used in different areas as required and with all types of user!

So I didn't reply as I have not experienced similar problems.

Some older soundcraft boards had a horrible little power socket on them The notepad and some of the slightly larger ones. These were common problems and sometimes, for some reason, wiggling about would cause problems with the effects. The lights on the effects would switch off and they wouldn't work. Whether this was a repeated voltage on and off problem that caused it, or a resistance issue if the connection wasn't great. I don't know. but if the unit has a similar connector it may be worth looking at.

I didn't reply because I didn't want to.

Cheers !!!

Don't think I'll bother again :P

I once posted a topic, no reply hours later, so I responded, " I thought (certain BR members) would have replied by now"

As I was used to very quick replies, but I did not think and I was rude.

Someone replied, "this has to be the rudest comment ever on BR", I think my record has now been broken.

Like Simon, if it was my money I'd buy a separate effects unit (likely a TC electronics one which I prefer to the Lexicon) rather than a second mixer.Bob

Yeah, I had a TC dual FX unit, superb, best fx I've ever used, but I've just had to reduce the size of my PA.

I've traded all my seperate's (power amp., fx unit, graphic eq. etc) for an all in one mixer (efx8), and powered speakers. I was perfectly happy with the results, but this hicuup has left me unsure.

The basic essence of the question was the reliability of Soundcraft products.

Thanks for your replies !!

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Cheers !!!

Don't think I'll bother again :)

I once posted a topic, no reply hours later, so I responded, " I thought (certain BR members) would have replied by now"

As I was used to very quick replies, but I did not think and I was rude.

Someone replied, "this has to be the rudest comment ever on BR", I think my record has now been broken.

Nothing to say on the topic then ??? just whinging.. :** laughs out loud **:

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Don't think I'll bother again ;)

Well, I looked at your original post, thought, "of the various Soundcraft desks I have owned or sold that have got Lexicon FX built in, none of them have ever gone wrong", and decided that I had nothing to tell you...Simon

Cheers Simon, that's exactly what I was looking for, members who have had, or not had, problems with Soundcraft gear. ;)

Archived