stage effects

cradd

They'll either be waterfalls or cascades.

Have never paid too much attention to them to confirm which, but both can be seen on demo videos on Le Maitre's web site.

As to cost, that depends on your buying power.

For use in a disco (your profile says you're a DJ) I'd think VERY carefully before considering them. Or in fact ANY pyro in most situations where mobile discos frequent.

Fallout from these effects is VERY hot and if used incorrectly can burn punters/performers and at worst set light to a venue.

And, of course, if you're under 18 (your profile doesn't give your age) then you're unlikely to get the chance, to be honest.

I can only echo Ynot's post on this.

THIS ARTICLE gives a frightening account of what can happen when pyro effects are used by untrained people in too-small a space.

If you don't have the training and/or if the venue isn't large and set up for such effects, don't attempt them.

I've moved this topic into the effects and pyro forum (where it belongs) from sound.

Bob

I think the safety aspects have been clearly stated above.

However, they cannot be stressed enough.

I have seen a lot of these effects close up, and if you are not using them correctly, results can be deadly.

To answer the questions though. X-Factor I believe use waterfalls. You will be looking at around £65/£70 for a short waterfall and up to £90 for longer falls. That is for each individual effect, not the whole bar of effects.

You then need all the hardware etc. Also attending a recommended safety awareness course and Pyrotechnics training course.

Experience with these devices you cannot buy, and for these which are in all sense and purpose, stadium effects, require a lot of experience to operate safely.

As Bobbsy clearly states:

If you don't have the training and/or if the venue isn't large and set up for such effects, don't attempt them.

(edit: quote)

Just to but in on this post and ask a question because I have no training in pyrotechnics but I too have seen the X-factor waterfalls, is it true they need to be a certain distance from the ground or is it the floor they are falling on? Just out of interest.

P.S I'm not going to try it so don't worry.

Just to but in on this post and ask a question because I have no training in pyrotechnics but I too have seen the X-factor waterfalls, is it true they need to be a certain distance from the ground or is it the floor they are falling on? Just out of interest.

P.S I'm not going to try it so don't worry.

Yes there is a certain distance recomended by LeMaitre and obviously the reason behind this is they are hot fallout, the minimum drop is 25ft (as recomended) although id always tend to hang them a bit higher than this just to be sure.

SwizzUK, what prices are you quoting? Accoring to the 2008 August LM prices, a box of 10 is £65.00 rather than £65.00 per piece? I appreciate Xfactor may not use LM but PJ is not far off that either.

My mistake, when reading the prices, I missed the 10 x part of it. :P You are indeed correct.

Thought it was rather expensive!! :P

[

Yes there is a certain distance recomended by LeMaitre and obviously the reason behind this is they are hot fallout, the minimum drop is 25ft (as recomended) although id always tend to hang them a bit higher than this just to be sure.

dont want to be pedantic, but le-maitre state they do not reccomend distancres for anything, they give you the height/width of the effect, it is then up to the user to ensure appropriate distances from that, after all a pyro against a metal wall could be perfectly safe touching it, however against a cloth!!

the height/drop is the height/drop of the MAIN plume, they frequently can be and are more than that.

....dont want to be pedantic, but le-maitre state they do not reccomend distancres for anything, ....

Actually, whilst I do agree that they don't normally give distance recommendations, the web site does clearly state in this instance

A minimum drop of 7.5 metres (25ft) is required for this effect.

[

dont want to be pedantic, but le-maitre state they do not reccomend distancres for anything, they give you the height/width of the effect, it is then up to the user to ensure appropriate distances from that, after all a pyro against a metal wall could be perfectly safe touching it, however against a cloth!!

the height/drop is the height/drop of the MAIN plume, they frequently can be and are more than that.

....dont want to be pedantic, but le-maitre state they do not reccomend distancres for anything, ....

Actually, whilst I do agree that they don't normally give distance recommendations, the web site does clearly state in this instance

A minimum drop of 7.5 metres (25ft) is required for this effect.

Apart from that one :( , obviosuly to cover themselves and because regulation varies county to county, country to country they arn't going to specify distances for alot of things also just in case there is a malfunction with an effect and it does spread further. My guess is with this being a falling effect this is the point where the effect will be in a state where it could cause a greater amount of danger as opposed to 40ft where things are going to have cooled down a bit more but will most probably still be very hot.

Archived