dry ice without dry ice?

jonwing1993

We have a large unti at the theatre which does this. It's basically a giant fridge with a hole on one side for your smoke machine input and a hole on the other side for the output via plastic pipe. It does the job very well but is quite noisey.

Putting the haze fluid in the fridge will do nothing but make your hazer work harder.. the cooling process needs to be post output.

putting the haze in the fridge

How are you capturing the haze in the first place ;-) heh.

The Rosco cold flow uses a liquid co2 cylinder to 'freeze' the fog, which makes it cling to the floor. Works well, but when you originally let the cylinder off it does make quite a hiss! Have also seen a home brew version of a chiller box, with some holes cut in either end similar to how JDLX mentioned, but the unit contains dry ice, to chill the fog as it goes through.

Passing any form of smoke through a cold unit chills it and therefore means it doesnt rise?

Most machines now dont use actual dry ice they pass the current smoke through an ice box.

Not sure how simply you could fit an ice box to a pre existing machine?

I read a tutorial on it once.

Get one of the plastic type cool boxes, cut a round hole in the front and back. Cover the hole with some chicken wire or similar to stop the ice from falling out. Then have some piping going from one hole to the nozle of your smoke machine (like guttering pipe) Then fill the ice box with ice.

(make sure the holes are a little bit up from the bottom or the water from the melted ice will come out. I'd suggest trying to get a drinks chiller, same as the cooler but with a tap on it. Like what you see at american football matches on tv or maybe drill a small hole right at the bottom on one side and let it flow out from there and channel it to somewhere. A bucket or something.

Not sure how simply you could fit an ice box to a pre existing machine?

There are various options around these days - some prescriptive to certain machines, others that can be adapted to different foggers. There are also several DIY plans for icebox chillers.

Whilst they can (and many DO) work, the problem as a rule is that while the fog remains chilled it will act similar to dry ice, it won't stay chilled for too long. Dry ice itself evaporates very quickly once it warms up, and so when used properly will continue to hug the ground til it does.

You need to use a fast-clearing fog fluid for the ice-in-front solutions, otherwise you'll most likely end up with ground hugging for the initial effect followed by slowly rising fog, til you get a gradiated stage full of fog!

:)

I've used something like this made by a mate of mine on these forums.

It was basically a standard coolbox full of ice+water. The smoke ran through a pipe through the fins of a small radiator and out onto the stage. The water was pumped through the radiator back into the "reservoir" cool box. The water stayed at 0-0.5 degrees all day (school rock show) and the effect worked quite well (despite the broken smoke machine needing the fluid pumped by hand using a syringe!!) Kept the smoke and ice separate too, which I think helped.

Colin C

Check to see if a heavy fog liquid is available for your smoke machine.

Rather than using a hazer for a wispy light low fog, choose the most suitable low fog liquid.

Normal fog liquids will produce a low fog effect but heat up quicker so rise up off the stage floor quicker.

I can't see the point in having low level haze - you can't see haze until light hits it. You can see smoke, so cooling that works. Heavy fog fluid is just denser, isn't it? The 'low' bit in any fog description relates to temperature. Low fog fluid only stays low until it heats up. Heavy fog in a conventional smoke machine just gives normal thick smoke.

I've a couple of Glaciators that work ok, but gobble fluid at a terrible rate - I'm using 5l a show! - half in each one. Asked Martin if they had anything bigger than the 25l big canisters - they do, 210l barrels!

• 2 weeks later...
Heavy fog fluid is just denser, isn't it? The 'low' bit in any fog description relates to temperature. Low fog fluid only stays low until it heats up. Heavy fog in a conventional smoke machine just gives normal thick smoke.

Just a note on the Heavy fog fluid, It does disappear quicker. When it rises, it has a very short hang time. I have used this for effects where you need loads of smoke but don’t want it hanging about!. Think panto and ovens and laundry and things like that!. Its also useful where you want continuous steam as you can leave it running with out filling the place!!.

I've a couple of Glaciators that work ok, but gobble fluid at a terrible rate - I'm using 5l a show! - half in each one. Asked Martin if they had anything bigger than the 25l big canisters - they do, 210l barrels!

Ive just had enough trouble tipping the 25l bottle in to the 5l. good luck with the barrel!!

Hi

Antari make this unit, which uses ice to create heavy fog.

http://www.antari.com/Company%20Profile/Lo...Fog/lowfog.html

It's also very economical on the fluid and features automatic draining, remote or DMX control.

All the best

Timmeh

+1 for this. We have used it loads and it gives exactly the effect you are looking for. I put about 4 bags of ice cubes from the supermarket in each evening, and have some spare for topping up if needed. One of our best purchases in a while.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
I've a couple of Glaciators that work ok, but gobble fluid at a terrible rate - I'm using 5l a show! -

Tell me about it!! I bought in 6x 5L bottles thinking it would be more than enough - but then had to get 4 more to complete the run. Great unit though!

Archived