Technohaze going off on one...

jexjexjex

Hi Gang.

The other night, I screwed the control to 0 on my Technohaze control and unplugged it from the extension cable (A 15m standard XLR). By the time I'd got to the machine, it was throwing out haze at full tilt like there was no tomorrow!

Anyone any idea as to why this would happen?

Normally, if the control isn't present (Connected) the machine simply won't function - or at least that's my experience.

It's only ever done this once before - ages ago - and has been fine since.

Hi Gang.

The other night, I screwed the control to 0 on my Technohaze control and unplugged it from the extension cable (A 15m standard XLR). By the time I'd got to the machine, it was throwing out haze at full tilt like there was no tomorrow!

Anyone any idea as to why this would happen?

Normally, if the control isn't present (Connected) the machine simply won't function - or at least that's my experience.

It's only ever done this once before - ages ago - and has been fine since.

Might of been confused (Short), you are correct that without the remote it shouldn't produce Fog. They don't provide parts for the technohaze. Give it another go in the warehouse, and see if it is exhaling haze without the remote.

Might of been confused (Short), you are correct that without the remote it shouldn't produce Fog. They don't provide parts for the technohaze. Give it another go in the warehouse, and see if it is exhaling haze without the remote.

I've had a similar situation when the XLR extension was dodgy. The wire looked like it had been soldered onto the XLR by Stevie Wonder, whilst doing a bungee jump! :D There was loose strands of wire all over the place, like a German shot-putter's bikini line! :D

A lot of smoke machine remotes simply vary the resistance between two wires, with zero resistance (ie; a short) being "full smoke power!" For a hint of which two wires are likely to be shorted, disconnect the remote, turn the power knob to full and press the button whilst metering the resistance across the terminals of the remote's XLR with and without the button pressed.

To put it briefly, check all the XLRs, especially the extension.

Another question - is the Technohaze controller "user-serviceable"? I just noticed yesterday that it looks like the cable is half sheard away from the controller so I think a re-solder / connect job is in order - if you can get into it - or can you still just get replacement ?

To be honest to get in to the remote its not that hard at all, only a couple of screws. The remote isn't anything that special IIR from poking about in our one.

Our one had a different issue (had to bang the machine or remote to get a response) and not being AMAZING at soldering PCB I got it done by some one else for a stupid price BUT it works fine now.

ive seen somthing like this before

oldham college did have a big antari fogger that when used in DMX mode it would go to 100% when the desk was shut down.

so you had to rember to powe down the fogger before the desk, whitch everyone would allways forget so by the time you got from the desk to the fogger you couldent fing the fogger for the fog.

Archived