Pryotechnics clearance

mutley

OK, before you have a go saying "go on a course", I asked to do just that, but by the time the committee pulled their finger out of their arse to decide whether they'd pay for it and from which budget, the only course available before the show which is next week (in Cardiff by Stage LX) had gone. B-)

I've actually used pyros many times before, and just wondered what the "by the book" safe clearance was for a medium Le Maitre theatrical flash.

Until now, it wasn't a concern because I was in an amateur theatre and fortunately, I've always been the closest person to the pyro when I set it off :where are my eyebrows!: However, I'm now working at a school, and need to do everything by the book if I want to keep my job! :unsure:

The committee have ruled that they'll allow the use of pyros, as long as an experienced technician (ie; me!) sets them off, and that they/I follow the official guidance laid down on their use.

I've told the Director I need a 2 metre diameter clearance, but just want to check.

Thx

There are indeed data sheets on the Le Maitre website which give you lots of info but they do not give safe distances. Le Maitre stopped providing this info several years back because they can not know the individual circumstances of where any of the pyro is being used. It is basically the same reason that you will not find anyone willing to state on BR what the safe distance is. If something goes wrong no one wants the comeback of Le maitre said it was safe or someone on the BR said it was safe. Bottom line you have to assess the effect for your circumstances (try it with no one around) and you decide what is safe based on your risk assessment. If you do not feel competent to make this decision then you will need to get someone that is. Sorry it is not a nice straightforward answer.

No. IMO, Le Maitre removed all safety zone information in a cynical attempt to avoid any possible legal responsibility! I'm sure that their failure to provide any guidance based upon extensive product testing would count against them in legal proceedings following any accident resulting from inadequate safety zone distances that could have been avoided had the original safety information still been available.

Skyhigh Stage FX still provides horizontal and vertical safety zone radii on their website, for their own products, which you can use in your initial risk assessment. However, local conditions do vary greatly, so your risk assessment must include test firings of effects from the batch to be used - both on an empty stage and then with all personnel present and a statement that if these tests prove unsatisfactory then the effect will be abandoned.

David

Safe and Pyro!

It's entirely up to you to determine your acceptable safety criteria. COnsider at least; the effect, the location, and the adjacent risk people, (the effects that rock bands use may not suit a ballet class of 5 year olds in tutus).

You could fire an effect cartridge in a big place, then the right place. Then you look at the apparent height and diameter of the plume.

If your cast are expecting the effect they will not be shocked. If they are not expecting it they may well be frightened.

• 4 weeks later...
Safe and Pyro!

It's entirely up to you to determine your acceptable safety criteria. COnsider at least; the effect, the location, and the adjacent risk people, (the effects that rock bands use may not suit a ballet class of 5 year olds in tutus).

You could fire an effect cartridge in a big place, then the right place. Then you look at the apparent height and diameter of the plume.

If your cast are expecting the effect they will not be shocked. If they are not expecting it they may well be frightened.

The way I have approached this in schools is as follows.

1. First time with a new effect in a new location, fire one in a very safe area - i.e. outdoors, from large distance. Then you know what to expect next time with same effect.

2. Now with effect in situ, based upon observations from previous step. Might be useful to video record the effect from a distance to check clearance etc.

3. Repeat step 2 with cast watching from very safe distance, i.e. sat in audience. This way they know what to expect from effect, and you get past initial shock reaction.

4. Repeat step 3, but with cast in "freeze frame" positions for cue. Again, this allows them to experience the effect on stage and closer to effect.

5. Rehearse scene with effect included several times. Brief cast as to what to do if effect is not activated (e.g. by operator, for safety reasons) during a performance.

6. As with any school activity, repeat repeat repeat safety instructions to all cast/crew/teachers. Do not take unnecessary chances. Use thorough risk assessment and get it checked beforehand.

Good luck!

Andy

All went well...

I had the whole cast sit and watch the demonstration, with only the characters who were going to be close (ie; within 3m), on the stage first.

I marked a safety perimeter out on the stage, and announced, "If you even have a toe on the wrong side of this line, the effect will not go off, and it will be YOUR fault!" :P

Since kids love to see explosions, (and not get beaten by other kids for preventing the pyro from going off! B-) ), they all made well sure they were clear of the safety distance line so that it would go off!

All went well...

I had the whole cast sit and watch the demonstration, with only the characters who were going to be close (ie; within 3m), on the stage first.

I marked a safety perimeter out on the stage, and announced, "If you even have a toe on the wrong side of this line, the effect will not go off, and it will be YOUR fault!" :D

Since kids love to see explosions, (and not get beaten by other kids for preventing the pyro from going off! :) ), they all made well sure they were clear of the safety distance line so that it would go off!

Congratulations, I'm really pleased for you!

Using pyros in schools has a great effect, and can be used perfectly safely when operated by someone competent. It is refreshing for me to hear about people in schools doing things like this sensibly and following H&S guidelines, rather than abandoning these ideas "just in case".

Have a good Christmas!

Andy

Archived