Snow - the mirror ball way

Krais

Hi,

I have a requirement, as many do, to fill the backcloth with a snow effect.

I have used a Cadenza projector in the past, but there are 2 problems with this, firstly we can't afford more than one of these for a show (our stage really needs 3 to maximise the effect), and secondly the proc arch is so low that the lantern needs to be a long way from the backcloth to clear the proc (no gods, and no space for back projection).

We can't use anything which creates physical snow, as this is required as part of the opening number, so there is no time to clear up after the scene.

A mirror ball gives a magical panto effect which does suit our show, however clearly in the wrong direction!

I am considering attempting to modify a standard mirrorball and rotator to sit at ground level, mounted 90 degrees to normal, thus allowing me to have falling mirror reflected snow.

Clearly this will require some work, so before I put a drill to the mirror ball I was wondering if anyone either had any better suggestions, or had tried something like this before.

Thanks,

Carl

Doh! beat me to it!!

or yes , just buy a cheap mirror ball and drill through so can put a stud through it. - make a little stand for support on the end , stud bolt through the entire thing and direct to the motor. I did excatly the same thing and simply made a frame "yoke" which then G clamped straight onto the LX bar.

I ended up making 2 and had slightly different speeds on the motors so to create more of a 3D effect on the cyc.

Worked quite well!!

Also done it before: Mirror ball on it's side (other wise the it looks like there is an extremely high wind!) We had ours on a rolling road type affair. One thing that makes it look nicer is to mask the back and sides of the ball so that you don't get snow all over the borders, legs, and audience. Looks a really nice effect then.

HTH

AndyJones

You can get snow using video/data projector.

There is option of real video loop or animated snow of which there are plenty available

Have used both to good effect.

We use archaos as media server for our clips but you can run these in good old powerpoint.

If just a single clip is needed windows media player will work fine.

Even just a simple animated gif playing endlessly works a treat.

We tend to use animated loops for music or panto.

For "drama" we would normally use the filmed video loop of the real stuff.

Good thing is unlike mirror ball you dont have to mask off spill into house.

I knew I'd seen something like this before.

Clicky

This project has ghosts rising, but it's the same thing really.

For snow, two balls running at different speeds, with the slower one having a slightly dimmer light source would be even better.

Also, remember that the direction of rotation, for many mirror ball motors, is random. Make sure your snow is going to go the right way before you switch the light on!

You can get snow using video/data projector.

Thanks tlc, this was something I had considered, but the low proc arch causes the same problem as a cadenza here - the projector needs to be mounted some distance away to light the top of a cloth, and you then have issues with the lack of intensity, even if you can overcome the increase image size.

We also can't use a sling to drop a bar down, as everything else in the house then hits it! It is a really annoying venue for projection.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions, I have purchased 2 half mirror balls which I will build a suitable mount for.

Now for the annoying part... the mirror ball rotation is random, something which I feared from my little knowledge of motors. I'm at a total loss as to how I can solve this, if I can even solve it. Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Can you just start your balls spinning :blink: as many times as required to get the right direction, before the show starts?

That is plan B.... the unit will be located on the floor, right in the middle of the stage, so the audience will notice it as they come in. I suspect it would need to be running for 20 minutes doing it this way :unsure:

I can't quite get my head round what you are aiming for - are you planning to project a snowflake gobo at a mirrorball? if so, in my experience you need to get your profiles quite close ( centimetres rather than metres) to the rotating ball and coming from exactly the right angle for it to work well, which might be tricky if the balls are in the middle of the floor. I also think you will have a random rather than a unidirectional effect. great for "I'm in the middle of a giant glass snowshaker ornament" moments, but perhaps not very realistic in terms of snowfall as we really see it.

If this isn't what you're doing, then ignore me, and I'd love to see some pictures.

You guys do live sheltered lives don't you...

Well I keep up as best I can, but I'm only part of an amateur group, so only spend so much time in a year playing with lights (ok, ask my fiancee and its 'too much time in a year')

Take a look at the Light Flurries

That answers Andy's question, that is exactly what I'm looking to do!

Archived