Warrior DA1000

erik10_4

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone has used the Warrior DA1000 (W-Audio) and could answer a couple of questions I cannot resolve from a downloaded copy of the manual from the 'prolight' site.

• I understand that the fans on warrior amps may be thermostatically controlled but there is no mention of this in the pdf manual. In fact, the manual mentions fans 'not running' in the troubleshooting section, implying that they should normally be active. Need I be at all concerned that fans have not started after about 1/2 hour of light use in a warm room?
  • There is a switch on the back of the unit for "Input Sensitivity" which has three positions (currently set in the middle). The options are 0.77v (left position), middle (unmarked) and 1.4v (right position). Is there an optimum setting or does this depend on input from the mixer? I am using a Yamaha MG12/4.
  • I am assuming a balanced input via the XLR sockets on the amp but the pdf manual refers to "mono" jacks for the alternative input sockets. Perhaps a daft question, but does this mean the amp will accept both balanced and unbalanced inputs.
  • Finally there is a switch on the back labeled "limiter". When would that be used? (it is currently set to 'off')

Would be grateful for any advice on these points and stand by to be kicked on things I should know or should have found in Wiki etc (have searched .....honest)

Regards

Increasingly, modern amplifier designs are more efficient and a lower level of cooling is required. This has brought on the onset of fan designs where its lowest speed is OFF. You'll sometimes find (I found this with my XTI4000's) that the harder you drive the amp the cooler they run and that running at idle the fan is switched off and they get a little warn (though not too warm).

How this amp fits into this I do not know so someone with knowledge of the amp will be better placed to answer, however my point is that it is not uncommon for a fans lowest setting to be "off".

As for the input sensitivity. The settings simply mean what voltage is required at the input to reach 0dB on the amp. I'm now questioning myself slightly but I'm sure it is as simple as that. So the lower setting will require a lower voltage for the amp to reach 0dB. I'd expect to see most set on the higher setting, that said some amps have a lower setting still.

The amp will accept balanced or unbalanced signals, be aware though that a lower level will be present for unbalanced ones.

Clip limiters are there to protect your stuff. However, in cheaper amps which this is, they are often inefficient and sound rather nasty when they're working. If you're just using this amp on its own straight from a desk and straight to a pair of speakers, turn it on this will ensure the signal at the output isn't clipped. Do note that this doesn't stop the input signal being clipped.

However, if you are using DSP and a loudspeaker management system then I'd advise using the limiters on that and switching off the limiter on the amps.

Thanks for your thoughts so far , I'm a bit clearer Rob. I have sent a mail to Geoff at Prolight as suggested by 'Rhythm Addiction' (nice one, I was looking for contact list on the site last night but must have had a blind spot :unsure: ). I suspect it is normal for fans to not start but just a bit disconcerting with the comment in the manual.

Regards

Archived