inside dmx512

james jag

hi guys and gals

im looking for good websites and even books that explain how DMX works indepth, eg the number of units on one line due to the curerent draw from a unit, and the total lenthg of of one line of DMX and also how it sends data out, I ask as I have new members on the team and I have had my laptop stolen with all relevent info on it,

thanks james

In short, its just a standard serial stream with 2 stop bits, 1 start, no parity, and 8 data, with a weird break condition at the start!

Have a google for "DMX512 1990 standard" and there's loads of results. I'll second the above link also. Gives a good intro to it.

The maximum devices from the bus is based upon the RS485 standard (Which DMX line properties are based upon), so have a search around for RS485 for info on the comms theory behind it and the bus drop count.

The old standard distributed by USITT used to come with a little book that is probably exactly what the OP wants. Called "Recommended Practice for DMX512 - A guide for users and installers" now in its 2nd edition, author is Adam Bennette.

"Recommended Practice for DMX512 - A guide for users and installers" now in its 2nd edition, author is Adam Bennette.
Seconded - this is an excellent booklet.

There are also a few general RS485 infosheets available for free from Maxim, showing 'proper' signal line 'scope traces, and what happens to them if you do silly things.

Archived