Interesting Dilemma

Nick LX

Having read the posts here, I'm concerned more about the technical skills of the "Technical Manager", Any competent Tech would ensure that all the equipment was in working condition and any faults were reported in both verbal and written form, Plus a record of all maintenance was available for inspection.

Having worked in both schools and colleges I know only to well the financial restraints imposed on the Drama departments, but a quite word with the Principal / Head Teacher mentioning the "Duty of Care" and Fixed installation certification (for the Hall / theatre / venue) as part of the operating license requirements usually does the trick.

It seems incredulous that no provision has been made to include some funds towards any form of maintenance, but the school is willing to spend £2grand on equipment. :yahoo:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nor is it my position to buy the fuses. Sorry!

If it were me, I'd potter off to Maplins and pick up the relevant fuses to get the channels back up, and take the hit myself. For a small expenditure it will potentially make your life a whole lot easier, and give you more options with the hire budget as you would possibly no longer need the extra dimmers.

At worst it's going to be £5. And I'd have done that while I was at school/6th Form and taken the hit from my £14/week paper round.

Having worked in both schools and colleges I know only to well the financial restraints imposed on the Drama departments, but a quite word with the Principal / Head Teacher mentioning the "Duty of Care" and Fixed installation certification (for the Hall / theatre / venue) as part of the operating license requirements usually does the trick.

or like someone said already, print off this topic and show it too the principle, im sure s/he will appreciate it, and you being seen doing something 'good' for the school will give you a stronger voice within it.

also, a note to add would be to save any work you do towards this production (including properly cued scripts, photo's of you rigging/the rig, design notes, pictures of the production for a case study for your portfolio (I am assuming you want to have a career in this?))

people may say that school productions aren't necessary 'evidence', but this is not true. if it is professionally designed/done then it is good evidence which may help placements in college/job.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed all but two dimmer racks. Now have 60 working channels. I am temporarily hiring two extra dimmer packs for the show until we can get the broken ones repaired. As for lighting, I decided to just go for lots of fresnels and wash lights. Will post pictures when finished.

Stage is up by the way. Alistage custom built it. Looks superb.

Archived