Radio Mic Licences: Costing and Buying

iamchristuffin

UK Shared Licence (UHF) :Description

For professional and semi-professional applications anywhere in the UK

Band 860 MHz UHF (also known as "Channel 69"). More info

No of mics

Typically 6 to 14 microphones.

Pro's

Inexpensive to buy. Roaming throughout UK permitted. As frequencies are for professional users, there is less risk of interference. Choice of all 14 frequencies provides you with some flexibility to avoid any interference from other nearby users.

Less prone than VHF to interference from other equipment such as computers and lighting controllers etc.

Cons

A licence is required! Other users such as TV and film production crews share these frequencies so there is a risk of transient interference.

Equipment that operates in these frequencies is often usable on licence exempt frequencies in 864 MHz band, providing you with more choice or additional capacity.

Annual Cost

For all frequencies: £75 (online) or £85 for one year (office). A discounted 2-year licence is available. More info

From the JMFG web site. What isn't particularly clear from that is that it is £75 for several channels, not each. To which you add the 4 mics you can get in the licence exempt UHF frequencies, and 4 in the VHF if you want.

I'd just point out that colleges consider licensing a simple expense that has to be sorted out - once the need is explained to the management. They pay a fortune for photocopying licenses, television programme recording licenses and stuff like that - so adding a £75 once a year license is nothing - and the consequences of NOT having one are far more important to them.

Agree with Paulears, once explained properly to the management, the licence is bought as a matter of course along with all the other licences. At £75 for a year there really isn't an excuse.

Report the next show (preferably one you're not working on) to OFCOM. You'll likely get more action if you pretend to be a little old lady whose TV enjoyment of Coronation Street is being disrupted. I should imagine a visit from the officials (or even a phone call threatening action) will see a UK shared license being purchased pretty quickly.

Bob

Go to the JFMG website and look at the fees page.

Most hire companies (or radio mic owners) and Theatres etc would (should) have a relevant licence.

The Theatre fixed site is the best value if you always use the same venue.

If you are not sure ring JFMG they are very helpful people

regards

Simon

Hi all,

Could someone give me a quick hand here? I'm trying to work out the costing for licences for 8 radio mic channels for 10 days, but I have no idea how much it will cost. This link seems to be what I'm after, but I don't know which pricing bracket I would be looking at.

Thanks In Advance.

This discussion drives me crazy. If you cant afford the license dont use the product...its that simple. Surely no one here would consider driving an car without road tax...?

I share your frustration but it seems there are plenty of users out there who are blissfully unaware of the need for licensing. I've also encountered a couple who were well aware but chose to ignore it :angry: Plenty of manufacturers don't help by neglecting to mention the need for a licence on their products. I suppose it doesn't help that that you can use the product on some frequencies without a licence when on others you do need one - maybe this confuses some users who don't see a difference between 863.5 and 853.5...

I've got a radio on my guitar on 864.900. Is this a free frequency or should I get a licience for it?

That one is indeed deregulated hence no need for a licence. Anything between 863.1 and 864.9MHz is fine.

Archived