Another drum question

the kid

Hi all,

I was wondering why is it almost traditional for drummers to be on that little platform that is like 1 foot high?

It’s a simple question but properly not a simpler answer.

I think the obvious answer would be that it brings them up level with the other performers who are usually stood up, there are probably also acoustic benefits which I'm sure a noise boy/girl will point out.

OK -

the drummer sits on their own riser - on their own bit of carpet - and on their own throne.....

Hmm What's the difference between a drummer and god? god doesn't think that he's a drummer.

Seriously I do a number of small venues and getting the drummer up to a level where they are on the same level of the vocal mics as well as behind them sounds like a bad Idea to me however with my LD hat on I would much rather the kit was raised up a little bit so it was a bit more visable.

James

Ok the answers to the questions

1) puts the drummer at the same level as the singer guitarist ect

2) Acustics The bass drum(s) for a drum kit have to be rased fron the stage and perferable the riser the resonate properly and give a bit better thud of not the sound is just lost in to the stage floor.

3) and finaly from the LD point of view it give you int case of a band somthing to light do effects on that every one can see on somthing that doesnt move much other than the usual things like walls and set .

put as simplisticaly as I can on a laptop on a tour Bus doin silly speeds down silly bendy roads. :wub:

and finaly from the LD point of view it give you int case of a band somthing to light do effects on that every one can see on somthing that doesnt move much other than the usual things like walls and set .

put as simplisticaly as I can on a laptop on a tour Bus doin silly speeds down silly bendy roads

I take it your tired? :wub:

the drummer sits on their own riser - on their own bit of carpet - and on their own throne.....

Hmm What's the difference between a drummer and god? god doesn't think that he's a drummer.

Speaking as a drummer - we sit on "a bit of carpet" so that the Bass drun does not move away when we play it because both the "throne" and the bass drum are on the mat which stops the bass drum moving without the throne also doing so.

We sit on risers for all the reasons on here - better accoustics, the crowd can actually see us and from my LD point of view - if it's a rock concert you can put banks of PAR cans under the riser which looks really good... plus, drummers have fragile minds... we need to know (or think) that we are just as important as the rest of the band - if not the most important - as after all the drummer sets the beat - the bassist listens to the drummer, the rythm listens to the bassist, the singer listens to the rythm and the lead listens to the singer... so it all starts with the drummer making us most important *head inflates slightly further*

oh... and by the way - we don't think were god - WE ARE GOD!!!

Q: How many drummers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. They have a machine to do that now.

sorry.. just had to.

you can get some very cool effects by using a riser with walls on each side, and bputting a smoke machine underneath. you put some holes in the top and you can get smoke in very strange patterns...

fortunately at my school we have some old wooden stage blocks we can do that kind of thing to.

Moderation, 3/5/04 13:02 ... posts containing only jokes removed, and merged in with the "Time For Some Jokes" thread in the Tea Break forum. Please note that this is the General Tech Chat forum, and jokes and other such frivolity should be posted to Tea Break.

you can get some very cool effects by using a riser with walls on each side, and bputting a smoke machine underneath. you put some holes in the top and you can get smoke in very strange patterns...

I must agree, unfortunatly because of out budget I have never tried 'walls' but the smoke under and cornered pars is a vgood effect.

This isn't a joke: Why do drummers never bring their own bit of carpet with them?

I've been in this business for 15 years-ish now, and I've seen one drummer bring their own.

alan.

This isn't a joke: Why do drummers never bring their own bit of carpet with them?

I've been in this business for 15 years-ish now, and I've seen one drummer bring their own.

alan.

What, you mean you wish they would? I don't quite understand...

Archived