STSG for Students?

Ben Langfeld

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a requirement among school "tech crew" students for an equivalent of the STSG?

• Yes
    • No

Well, firstly the stage at the Empire, while large, is definitely NOT the largest in Europe. It isn't even the largest in the UK. Or even in the north-west of England, for that matter! If the guys at the Empire told you that it was, they were winding you up.

Secondly - while courses like this do have value, it definitely isn't "real theatre". No matter how real the venue tries to make it, they'll never be able to put a 14 or 15 year old student into the same situation as a professional technician working on a show at the same venue. As you say, there are several things, like working at height or tailing in a 3-phase supply, that a venue would never be able to let a student do for insurance and H&S reasons. Likewise, working a six-hour day during production week for a big show is quite a long way from "real world". I'm not saying there's no point in doing these courses - I'm sure there is - but they simply aren't "real theatre" in the sense of being just like doing it for a living.

Well, firstly the stage at the Empire, while large, is definitely NOT the largest in Europe. It isn't even the largest in the UK. Or even in the north-west of England, for that matter! If the guys at the Empire told you that it was, they were winding you up.

Well I didnt know that, according to the stage manager it is.. or was anyway. But thank you for your opinion on the matter. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Secondly - while courses like this do have value, it definitely isn't "real theatre". No matter how real the venue tries to make it, they'll never be able to put a 14 or 15 year old student into the same situation as a professional technician working on a show at the same venue. As you say, there are several things, like working at height or tailing in a 3-phase supply, that a venue would never be able to let a student do for insurance and H&S reasons. Likewise, working a six-hour day during production week for a big show is quite a long way from "real world". I'm not saying there's no point in doing these courses - I'm sure there is - but they simply aren't "real theatre" in the sense of being just like doing it for a living.

It may be not the biggest but is is a barn, and bigger than the average school hall.

And he didn't say it was "real theatre." He said "a real theatre", a small difference on the page, but a large one in meaning.

And no, they won't be able to put a 15 year old into the same situation as a professional, but they will be putting them a lot closer than they would staying at home.

Archived