STSG for Students?

Ben Langfeld

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a requirement among school "tech crew" students for an equivalent of the STSG?

• Yes
    • No

Info about the STSG is here. As I understand it, the STSG is more than just a forum. There is "a biennial conference with workshops, seminars and social events; meetings at the major trade shows; visits to members' schools; and training courses or product demonstrations". Some or all of these things aimed at school students with a strong interest may be appropriate. I would imagine that an annual conference for such people to discuss matters of interest, an opportunity for networking and also some sort of training programme might be beneficial.

Could I ask that respondents please expand on their answers?

STSG is primarily an internet forum for discussion of schools theatre by staff.

The Next Generation is an internet forum for discussion of schools theatre by students.

Er...

Not sure I understand the question.

As I understand it, the STSG is more than just a forum. According to the information I linked to, there is "a biennial conference with workshops, seminars and social events; meetings at the major trade shows; visits to members' schools; and training courses or product demonstrations". Some or all of these things aimed at school students with a strong interest may be appropriate. I would imagine that an annual conference for such people to discuss matters of interest, an opportunity for networking and also some sort of training programme might be beneficial. By the way the poll is going so far, it would appear many do not agree.....

As I understand it, the STSG is more than just a forum.

Absolutely right; the forum is a fairly small and under-used part of what we do. There have also been one or two discussions in STSG about doing something for students, but it was felt to be beyond what we want to cover.

A word of warning if you're planning to organise something: it's a huge amount of work! I often spend every free moment of my breaks, lunch-hour, and time at home (annoying my wife) keeping up-to-date with STSG admin and preparing the newsletter and organising events. I still do it because I enjoy it, and think it's a necessary group, but don't under-estimate your committment if you want to launch something.

You may also find it difficult to get sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile. I would imagine very few school-aged students, even if technically-minded, would be able to travel independently to an event or conference. Organising something by way of an informal meet-up at the next PLASA or ABTT shows may be your best bet (that's how STSG first started to meet), although I would avoid using the 'Next Generation' forum to arrange details; from a Child Protection point-of-view, it's a public forum and you don't know who will turn up!

Just to add another Child Protection thing: If you're over 18 (just read your profile) then you'll need at least an enhanced-disclosure CRB check to organise this, which means you'll need an organisation to do one for you I believe. May be opening a whole can of worms!

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice Paul. Fortunately, I'm quite used to this sort of thing so hopefully I won't have too many problems. At this stage, I was just interested in assessing the requirement for such a thing. Time will tell which way the poll swings.

As for the Child Protection issues, again, I'm no stranger to this sort of thing: I do it every day! Thanks though.

I will back up why I have answered no. I assume you are still in 'school'. If you waited until finishing school and joined a production arts course at college then most of the desired benifits you wanted will come to you. By the time your 18 the stsg wont come into your head as you'll be-

a. at uni or

b. earning money from the job.

Theres no need for it.

I will back up why I have answered no. I assume you are still in 'school'. If you waited until finishing school and joined a production arts course at college then most of the desired benifits you wanted will come to you. By the time your 18 the stsg wont come into your head as you'll be-

a. at uni or

Theres no need for it.

No Jerome, I'm not at school, and havn't been for a while. It may simply be an opportunity for school students to gain a head start. Many universities also have a technical society of some sort, and imagine there would be scope to tie in to this in some way.

Thank you for your comments.

And I assure you that all STSG members are very much busy earning money from the job.

:P

Ben, perhaps you should edit your original post to make it clearer what you're asking?

sorry I should check in future before making assumptions about peoples age, do apologise. I'm a college student and I dont feel I would benefit from the STSG, but im only one. As students we already get to do workshops, visits to theatres, networking opportunities etc. I think it would take you a while to set up and I don't feel the need is that great for it. School students in the field shouldn't be thinking they have too many rights towards anything technicaly ran... at the end of the day there still kids many whom know little and due to the dangers of our jobs do themselves injustice without the correct supervision. The arguement I here a lot on threads on here are about kids knowing more than the Teachers but not allowed to do the job. Yes the industry should be encourageing young people but that should be a topic brought up in the educational system through the arts council maybe. I feel introducing almost a union with conferences for school kids, college students, uni students is beyond comprehension as the work is completely voluntary or educationally related, plus most kids shouldn't be doing the job as there not insured or old enough unlike college or uni. I think there are other ways to encourage students such as an award.

Some or all of these things aimed at school students with a strong interest may be appropriate.

It's called the National Youth Theatre. Or the National Youth Theatre Of Wales. Or the Scottish Youth Theatre. Or the National Youth Music Theatre. Or numerous local/regional youth theatre organisations.

They are theatre companies with general training courses, not quite the same as what I'm suggesting...

• 2 weeks later...
Only 20 responses from 590 views? Where have all the students gone?

I persnally think its a good idea. And I think if you could get "big" theaters to be involved, so that you could do training there. You would get alot of intrest. As I think most school technical crew would probally love a go at a real theater. Sorry if this is a really unconstructive reply!

x

Hmmm ... when you say "have a go at a real theatre", what exactly did you have in mind?

There are such schemes. Live nation I believe run them at certain theatres. I did one in 2007 and again 2008 at Liverpool Empire. The cost was £140 per two weeks. The first show we did was Cliff Richards "summer holiday", then "the wiz" in 2008. Overall the experience I gained in those four weeks alone was immense. The theatre treated the 11 tech and SM guys, (all between ages 14-20), like real touring professionals. We did everything, from design and program the lighting, to the get in and fit up.

There where certain things we could not do, like work a height and work for more than 6 hours. But that never stopped the production, we did our work and produced two high quality shows on the largest stage in Europe.

May I also add that people like White light, Stage Electrics and MAC sound where a huge help to us and really understood. My advice to young budding tech & SM students lurking around BR is to get onto such schemes.

More Info here: http://www.livenationtheatres.co.uk/conten...CategoryID=8604

thanks

Archived