Cloth folding

andeharding

The gauze, something like 180' x 25' (no typo) takes ages, and is folded fan like every 6 tabs, as it is not possible to lay the whole thing flat on the stage.

I absolutely HAVE to ask....

Why - on what appears to be a 20 foot stage width (judging by the rear blacks) do you have a one hundred and eighty foot wide gauze....???

Aha caught one!

Our stage is a trapezium ranging from 20' to something like 60' at the front. The gauze is ex TV studio, and fits around the stage loosing the wings but creating a white stage.

There are a few pics up on the website, here. Athough the gauze is not set to go fully upstage in these photos.

Edit: hang on, I have my feet mixed up here, I usually work in metres! Which would be 10m upstage 16m50 downstage which is 32' and 54' odd respectively. Sorry. Bedtime I think!

Thank you!

It was built 5 years ago as a concert hall, home to many local Orchestras, one of which paid towards the hall's construction, and have two store rooms just for them (much to our annoyance sometimes, as we are about to throw away loads of set, as our store room is converted back to the boys loos in the technology!).

It cost about £2.8 million and consists of 2 drama studios, each with 6 channels of dimming and a 24 circuit rig. The dimmers for the two studios are near enough to each other to run cables to the other room's dimmer for a larger show. Not that we have done that. They also have dedicated speakers/amp/phonic mixing desk. There are 2 music rooms, a few offices, bar, loos, and the old school hall became the dance studio.

I gets used a lot, and we do aim to be as professional as we can, within the limitations of working in a concert hall. It seats 366, all on fixed raked seating. We have just had a second lighting rig (24 ccts) installed on 16a to run a dedicated concert lighting rig, so that concerts can be done near to a show, without changing too much. That was on top of a 60 cct install on 15a, all on a bespoke trapezium truss, held up with 8 1/2 tonne motors.

All of this in a normal secondary school. Anyway, I had better leave it there before I am told off for going OT!

Surely it depends on how you want to hang it?

and how long it's going to be stored un-hung.

If hanging on a flybar or truss if you can lay the drape out on the stage it may be easier to tie the centre on first

If you are hanging on a bar/truss but you cannot lay the drape out on stage, or if it's being re-hung the next day, then simply stuffing it in a box/bag as it comes in might be better

If rigging off a picker or tower the first tie you might want handy is one end so you can avoid moving centre to one end and then back to centre and then to the other end.

If rigging off a picker or tower the first tie you might want handy is one end so you can avoid moving centre to one end and then back to centre and then to the other end.

Starting at one end is only possible if the cloth is exactly the right size for the bar/truss it's hanging from. If it's not the exact length then you need to get it symetrical. The only way to do that is to put the centre of the cloth (which should be marked) on the centre of the bar/truss (which should also be marked) and working out from there. Even having 3 inches of empty bar one end and 1 inch the other end will look wrong. Start in the middle and there'll be no problem whatever the length of the cloth.

We are designing boxes that can be placed under the wing drapes to fold/store them as the rig drops to the floor for rigging, any thoughts on that?!

Used similar for legs when I was in the States. 18mm-ply box, hinged lid, on castors. One for each side of the stage - tuck the bottom of the leg into the box (which should be wide enough for the purpose), then someone to guide each leg in as the bar comes in. Wheel it up/ down to next set of legs and repeat. Paint/ line the inside of the box to stop the drapes becoming manky off the ply, and so you can easily hoover them out as necessary.

The boxes they used must have been about 6 feet long, and 2 feet by 2 feet at the ends. They were stacked under the stage, as they had them for all manner of legs, borders, drapes and cloths.

perhaps this should have been a poll....

but on my quick reading, it looks like pretty overwhelmingly "ties out". Sorry JSB, you're marching to the beat of a different drum...nothing wrong of course with expressing your individuality!

Got to go along with Lee on this one - but has anyone else noticed how often hired-in sets come with cloths not in a bag? I recently did 'South Pacific' and not one of the cloths - 17 of them (including the cuts) - came in a bag! And they were all folded/rolled differently. Won't be hiring in from that company again.

Dave

And they were all folded/rolled differently. Won't be hiring in from that company again.
That, I suspect, will be cloths rolled by either different hirers in the past, or different am-dram crew folding them at the same venue when last out.

Though many hire co's state "Cloths must be folded properly when returned" I doubt that many will in fact check them when they get back to base...

So when you get the cloths for your show, you get them how the last lot finished with them...

Archived