France Power?

TGF

Hi there

Wondering if anyone can answer me a question about France:

I'm taking a small show to Paris with a tiny rig (8 500wfresnels and 2 500wprofiles) using alpha packs and a small A/B desk, and a small sound system

Can I use my English alpha packs & sound equipment with adaptors, or do I need specificly French equipment?

Ta

Chris C

Nominal 230V same as us, but the connectors are different. I'm sure there is a website showing world-wide varients. Sockets normally at 16A radially wired. Beware polarity issues; some European connectors can be put in either way up, swapping phase and neutral. Whether this will cause you a problem, I doubt, but be aware of it.

Last time I was in France I was staying in a place that would make your hair curl just looking at the wiring.

I am out working in Paris at the moment on a job.

Everything has been fine for us - apart from my long forgotten French I learnt at school! - although I can just about remember how to recite the entire contents of my pencil case!

Just beware if you are using domestic 13A adapters that different adapters are rated differently. Some we have are rated at 2A, others 7A - so check the embossed print on the plug adapters before buying/using.

They also use the same Ceeform connectors out here inc 3 phase - not that you will probably need to go that far with the rig you described. Hope that helps.

I've literally just come back from doing a job in Bordeaux. It was suggested to me by the guys on here to use CEE 7/7 plugs on one end with 16 amp sockets on the other for my particular set up. I used 3 of these leads which gave me all the power I needed though I had to make sure that each socket was on a different 16 amp breaker. Oh and don't use travel adaptors.

Cheers,

Paul

Archived