When To Go Legit?

Billy Rigby

Guest lightnix
Paul, you can request all the information the bank holds about you (including copies of statements) for a mere £10 under the Data Protection Act, useful to know in the future
True. Under the DPA, nobody should charge you more than £10 to produce any and all info they have on you. If you're going to request one bank statement, you might as well request them all :blink:

IIRC though, you have to claim that right - they don't automatically have to give it you. However...

...under the FOI Act, the Lord Chancellor has the power to set by regulations the maximum access fee, and the manner in which any fee is to be calculated.
See here - Section 2, Paragraph 14. See also...

I too got asked how much I spent on food each week, how much my mortgage was, and how much I paid for having my drive brickweaved. I honestly replied I hadn't a clue - to which she said "that's OK - I have it here"!
At which point I'd have found it hard to resist the temptation to grab her by both lapels, haul her over the table so her face was inches from mine and snarl, "Well what the f*ck are you asking me for?"

It is also worth noting that any accountancy fees due for preparing the paperwork for these kind of checks are NOT offsetable against tax - as they have been generated as a response to the tax people's enquiry. Ouch!
Hence the insurance policies. Be careful which one you get though - some of them only cover full-timers or casuals on PAYE.

IIRC though, you have to claim that right - they don't automatically have to give it you. However...
...under the FOI Act, the Lord Chancellor has the power to set by regulations the maximum access fee, and the manner in which any fee is to be calculated.
See here - Section 2, Paragraph 14. See also...

Quite correct, of course, but remember that DP and FOI are totally different things, don't mix them up. FOI is not applicable here - it (generalising..) only applies to public bodies, not banks.

the banks are more than used to it, IIRC you just have to inform the data controller that you require a copy of all data held about you (that is releasable under the act, there are certain exemptions, for example reports to SOCA (Serious Organised Crime Agency))

As Bruce says, its the DPA1998 that applies in this case, not FOI2000.

Archived