Crossover frequencies for 3 way stack

KevinE

Hello, I'm just after some advice on recommended crossover frequencies for a stereo 3-speaker stack for use by a mobile disco. We have a digital speaker management controller and of course 3 stereo amps.

We have a pair of OHM BR15S bass speakers, (1x15in), a pair of BR12 full range (12in + horn) and a pair of BR10 (10in + horn).

Can anyone recommend a suitable set of figures to start with..I dont mind tweaking afterwards..?? Im not too worried about levels, gains and limiters etc, I can do this later.

Cheers

Kevin

Kevin,

Ohm recommend 100Hz.... and although they can supply a biamp version of the BR series, they might well suggest you leave the crossover in for the BR12 and 10. How were you intending to use this system? Are you looking for a three way solution, or just run the bins below 100Hz and the top boxes above 100Hz?

Simon

Essentially we have the three amps there in the rack, the Cleo-2 (aka Ecler DP300 aka DAP Audio DLM26) crossover and all the leads and cables we want, so we're just looking to run them as effectively and efficiently as possible with what we have available...with the minimum of stress on everything. It's an expensive set-up and we'd like to get it right! All advice gratefully taken on board...I normally repair the things, not commision them!

I have some BR15s, and the advice I had from Ohm about biamping the tops was to leave the compression driver connected to the passive crossover, and run the cone driver direct from the active crossover & amp for midrange. They felt that their BR passive crossover was a particularly good one, and was worth keeping in circuit.

Of course, using this method, you would have to drive the HF with the same power as would be applied to the whole box!

You could try separating out the mid and HF, and use the passive crossover frequencies as a guide to set your active crossover, but you'd need to sort out any phase correction etc. that might be present in the passive crossover. In many ways, creating a three way system would make more sense if you had four 10" or 12" boxes

It may be worth giving Clive at Ohm a ring to discuss this further, but I'd be inclined to use the active crossover to run the bins up to 100Hz and the 10" and 12" tops from 100Hz upwards.

Simon

OK Ive had a good listen to this, agree the 100hz is about right by ear, I ran the mids and tops FR and just had to back off the gains on the mid/tops to get the sound a little more balance. Otherwise, all sounding good, thanks!

Archived