Getting Started with Sound

superuser2

Hi everyone,

I'm an 8th grade computer geek. I like to figure out how things work and tinker with them, etc. Somewhere around 4th grade this led me into audio; I ran a CD player for a winter concert and later moved onto a sound board for an outdoor music class concert (under a school technician), 2 talent shows on the sound board at the high school's fairly nice auditorium, and a musical (we rented a setup that, due to budget constraints, did not include wireless mics, so it was very... interesting...). I look forward to being on sound for both the talent show and the musical again this year. I've loved every second of it.

Now my question is this: how can I learn more about this kind of thing and do it more often?

Looking for books or (better yet) online reading, and any advice on what to study/where to start. Personal advice welcome as well. Thanks for any responses.

--Jacob

Find yourself a local community or amateur theatre group and get involved with them. You will probably spend a few shows fitting radio mics to the cast, but as you prove yourself you'll move up the ranks, and learn a lot while you're at it. There are a lot of books out there, some more useful than others - try your local library, you might be surprised what you'll find there. Oh, and welcome to the Blue Room!

Libraries are always good places to start with books. If you're looking at getting involved seriously then you can't go far wrong with Yamaha's sound reinforcement handbook. Pretty standard text, and whilst I don't advise reading it from start to finish it's a great reference manual!

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0881889008.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

OK, I'll definitely look at the manufacturers. And definitely that book; that's the second time it's been recommended.

I don't know if there are any local theater groups that would take a 13-year-old; I may have to wait until next year when I can legally "work". The two I can think of off the top of my head use exclusively adults on the crew (some of them students or graduates in Technical Theater). Though perhaps they'd let me shadow... I have a friend who has some connections with a group that might let me.

Any other ideas still welcome!

Well I wouldn't be handling heavy machinery or anything dangerous... in Wisconsin at age 14 one can work 4 hours on school days... that might get stretched to the max with any kind of tech week (how do those work, anyway, for community theater shows involving kids and working adults?) but it could work. Though I'd happily volunteer for a community theater provided I was learning. (That's how these things work, is it not?)

Moderation: I've added the location into superuser2's profile - In the UK you cannot work in a thetre until you are 16 - from the comments here, we're assuming in the USA it's 14?

A couple of other on-line resources for you:

First, Soundcraft's PROFESSIONAL AUDIO LEARNING ZONE has lots of useful stuff there, viewable online or downloadable as a .pdf file. I notice they now have a DVD you can ask for via your distributor though I haven't tried that trick myself.

Second, I've long been a fan of the RANE NOTES library...lots of good articles about a wide range of topics. The notes on how to use dynamics processing are particularly good.

Bob

just get involved with anything and everything you can.

speak to a local hire company. you may start off by coiling cables, but this could soon lead to opportunitys.

Your options may be limited in regards to your age BUT....look forward to the above poster's advice; when you are old enough try and get an "internship" (as I believe they are called in the US) or help out at the local venue as a stage hand/humper.

You have to walk before you can run......reading about it and talking about it is not enough, you need hands on and that, my friend, is not always an overnight process. Seize the moment and learn even if you are given a "lowly" job (not true, everyone is a piece of the machinery that makes a sucessfull show.). You might not be actually mixing at some point but you will learn an awful lot about PA's and human Psychology!

Have patience and you will achieve....if you want it. :P

Archived