Fitting out a venue

heinz57

Hi all,

I thought I may aswell post this,

A few weeks ago towards the end of August I did a 2 week work experience placment at a local company called Custom Group.

I was with the theatre department.

I spent the two weeks at the same job, we was kitting out a school near Loughbrough with some new stuff. They had an old gym which was having all new performance systems installed - lighting bars, sound systems, perimiter tracking, dimmers, DMX sockets, foot sockets -- the works! And in they was also having the performance systems in the hall updated - new lighting bars, sound systems, new dimmers. Plus a big haul of new lights - fresies, pars and profiles.

It was a good two weeks and it was very busy aswell. I think I was quite lucky in getting this placement and when I start uni in a few weeks I wonder how many people will beable to say they have actualy worked in the fitting out of a venue?

Unfortinatly though I didnt get to see the job finished and everything working. Becuase the two weeks we was given to do it simply wasn't enough. It dragged on into a 3rd week and I wasn't there for the 3rd week. My placement had ended.

Oh well, still I enjoyed it!

Just thought I'd post that on here just to tell you!

Heinz

Ah, the custom group... I hope their working at height practices were a little better than the last time I saw them fitting some tab track - I didn't have a camera on me unfortunately ;)

Haha. That sounds interesting. Im entriged, tell me more!

The practices seemed safe enough on this job!

Plus a big haul of new lights - fresies, pars and profiles.

Good to hear you had a great experience and why not say you've had that work experience.

BUT please why fresies? What is that?

Taking my tongue from my cheek I know you mean Fresnels, so why not say so? its one more letter surely its not that much more effort to type.

Sorry rant over now. I'll go back to lurking

BUT please why fresies? What is that?

Taking my tongue from my cheek I know you mean Fresnels, so why not say so? its one more letter surely its not that much more effort to type.

Sorry it's just a nick name for them I picked up. Just got used to calling them that now! Same with me calling parcans par's. Don't worry though I'm not gonna go walking round calling profiles 'profs'!

OK... Imagine a single width scaff tower, one section high. Platform on the very top, hence no rails or kick strips. Then a normal classroom type polypropylene chair on top of this, whose legs were only slightly narrower than the width of the tower platform. Then, a brave chap standing on the chair, working above his head at full stretch on the tab track. I was more than a little surprised.

OK... Imagine a single width scaff tower, one section high. Platform on the very top, hence no rails or kick strips. Then a normal classroom type polypropylene chair on top of this, whose legs were only slightly narrower than the width of the tower platform. Then, a brave chap standing on the chair, working above his head at full stretch on the tab track. I was more than a little surprised.

Hahaha!

That sounds like it was fun to watch!

They are brave chaps there! They get up to all sorts!

But yeah the H+S was a bit better on this job!

Archived