Cable Coiling Machine

oli

Why? The usual way with the twist each loop makes the cable lay flat. Wrapping around hand and elbow doesn't - making it a twisted mess, especially when undone. What can be better than a straight drum wind, no twist needed, winding the way the cable came off the drum in the first place, before we started messing with it? It seems to me that this machine takes a cable, laying flat on the stage and simply winds it in. What is so bad about it? I'd rather like one. Especially as I have two trunks full of uncoiled cables just rammed in during a panic getout. The Outside broadcast people coil and uncoil their cables from drums like this when laying off, and their cables are a lot more expensive and fragil than most of ours.

Care to share your worries? Have I missed something?

For coiling cables it seems ideal. However, if the cable is then taken off the drum for storage the danger is that twists will be introduced when it is uncoiled - because the ends are pulled out without taking out the 'turns'. The only satisfactory way is to pay out the cable by rotating the coil as if it was rotating on the drum on which it was wound.

I've used small cable reels for years for long microphone cables and they work a treat provided that you use the rotation of the drum both to coil and uncoil the cables; it's surprising however how many 'helpful' people pay out the cable by holding the drum with one hand so that it cannot rotate and pulling the cable off the side of it with the other hand, without realising that this introduces the very twists that winding it on a drum was designed to prevent in the first place!

Hilary

I know somebody who has a large quantity of cable for 100v horn speakers with XLR connectors. He keeps it all on a garden hose reel (looks a bit odd, but much cheaper than fancy cable drums). Just plug the next lead on the end and keep winding. Not used it myself but he says it works really well.

FOUND IT

this is not the machine that I used in CPL's wharehouse in greenford in 94. cpls was used only to coil lighting multicore. if you were to try to use it with XLR,TRS,coax the torque the thing produced would stretch the conducters and or screen,faulting the cable or reducing the load rating.it took 30 seconds to coil 60 meters it was named the "monotony machine"

For coiling cables it seems ideal. However, if the cable is then taken off the drum for storage the danger is that twists will be introduced when it is uncoiled - because the ends are pulled out without taking out the 'turns'. The only satisfactory way is to pay out the cable by rotating the coil as if it was rotating on the drum on which it was wound.

I seem to remember that I mentioned this before, but I can't find it.

When laying out cables from a coil if you take say five turns off from one side, change hands and take off five from the other, no kinks occur. This used to be the method used for uncoiling telephone overhead wire which was a copper alloy. It works - try it! I always run my cables out this way and it makes re-coiling by hand very easy on a get out. :D

Dave

Archived