Moving light lubricant

PDD

A while ago I was at a training event and was recommended a type of lubricant for moving lights which was a 'dry' lubricant, not oil based, and therefore would not attract dust/particles after use. I've tried searching (not a good idea searching for 'lubricant'!), but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Hopefully people here will know? Apparently it is readily available from RS.

Edit: Just had another quick search through RS and I think it was 'PTFE Powder' that I was recommended. However, there are still several choices on RS, and none are a powder-based (although how a powder is a lubricant, not sure), so can anybody point me to a specific product like this that they use? Apologies for my ignorance!

Something like this perhaps, or this one which says it's temperature resistance which I guess is important!

Usually a silicone based oil.

I'd imagine that the best option would be to check the manual for your specific movers. For example, the first one I came across in my file of manuals was a Mac 500 which states:

Use only Martin silicone lubricant, P/N 37302003 (500 ml) or P/N 37302004 (200 ml, in applicator bottle), to lubricatethe MAC 500/E
There are also powders which are lubricants - these can be a lot less messy to apply/use, and can be brushed on to moving parts.

They become a paste when compressed (eg between moving parts or your fingers)

As well as temperature requirements the other problem is degradation of plastics and rubber which many oils and greases will do!

RS do a PTFE powder spray in an aerosol which is in a solvent that evaporates to leave a whitish powder. Its expensive.

Archived