Dummy VGA Connector

peternewman

In the past I've been caught out trying to use laptops with scan converters where unless I have a screen connected to the out of the scan converter, my laptop doesn't detect it so won't output any video. On a rather random Google just now, I found a link to this, which looks perfect, and terminating the RGB lines makes sense for how the laptop may detect the presence of a screen.

So has anyone made and used one of these or anything similar? Did it work? Did it blow up your graphics card, I can't imagine it will damage it, unless I short some of the pins?

I have used this method before.

It was on an install and my client provided me with adapted VGA gender benders to use. The difference was that no resistors were used, just small bit's of solder.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/j...4/DSC001651.jpg

I'm not advocating this, just saying that it worked on several sites and I have not heard of any problems through doing so.

Jimbo

Edit. Picture link didn't work

Edit. Link fixed

The difference was that no resistors were used, just small bit's of solder.

:blink:

Shorting an output to ground is not a good idea. Most cards will probably have some sort of short circuit protection built in, but some may not. Did it damage anything Jimbo?

The 75 Ohm resistor method looks a lot better ;) It's a lot like the BNC terminators that were used on thin coaxial ethernet a long time ago. They were 50 Ohms of course...

Uncle Matt II

I have used a similar thing before. Also in S-video connectors, for laptops straight to presentation systems (my church, for example, uses Y/C... so if you want to prep a machine to do a photo slideshow, or similar, especially a mac, just use one of these adaptors to trick the machine into enabling the output, then just a simple case of swapping over cables :blink: )

just buy a vga terminator (I still carry one, but it's a bit dusty!), but in honesty in this day and age you really shouldn't need 1. Most scan converters have the ability to terminate (whether via a switch or via the software), and the same can be said of all interfaces. Also the bulk of graphics cards have the ability to "force" an output.

Archived