Driver CPC

Simon Lewis

Above 3.5t wouldn't be quite so bad. The way the page linked to is worded, it includes 3.5t, so covers quite a few vans as well (including mine :D )

Any lorry of 3.5 tons and upwards and minibuses with 9 seats or more are covered by Driver CPC.

Above 3.5t wouldn't be quite so bad. The way the page linked to is worded, it includes 3.5t, so covers quite a few vans as well (including mine :D )

Driver CPC applies to drivers of vehicles on roads open to the public and for which a driving licence in any of the following categories is required:

I. C1, C1 + E, C or C + E

ii. D1, D1 + E, D or D + E

All drivers of the above categories who are either:

I. nationals of an EU member state or

ii. nationals of a non-EU member state but who are employed or used by an organisation based in an EU member state

will have to hold Driver CPC if they wish to drive professionally.

My driving licence includes C1 - "motor vehicles used for the carriage of goods and whose maximum authorised mass exceeds 3.5t but does not exceed 7.5t" so I will need CPC if I drive (in a professional capacity) something larger than my present 3.5t van, but the above wording suggests it doeasn't apply to vehicles at the 3.5t limit!

Simon

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

So does it mean more lessons, another theory test, or something else?

Mainly training, with some practical examination.

New drivers acquiring a vocational entitlement (C1, C1+E, C or C+E licence) after the 10th September 2009 will have to obtain an initial CPC in addition to their licence.

Existing drivers who already hold a vocational licence on the 10th September 2009 are exempt from the initial CPC. This is known as "acquired rights".

and

Irrespective of when or how a driver obtains the Driver CPC, he/she must complete a total of 35 hours Periodic Training within the following five years to keep the Driver CPC valid. LGV Drivers acquiring the Driver CPC via acquired rights will have to complete their periodic Driver CPC by September 2014.

This site has more information...

Simon

My driving licence includes C1 - "motor vehicles used for the carriage of goods and whose maximum authorised mass exceeds 3.5t but does not exceed 7.5t" so I will need CPC if I drive (in a professional capacity) something larger than my present 3.5t van, but the above wording suggests it doeasn't apply to vehicles at the 3.5t limit!

Simon

My license has the same. The bit you quoted from says it applies to vehicles over 3.5t, but..

Please Note:

Any lorry of 3.5 tons and upwards and minibuses with 9 seats or more are covered by Driver CPC.

would appear to include 3.5t Typical badly worded government confusion!

Existing drivers who already hold a vocational licence on the 10th September 2009 are exempt from the initial CPC. This is known as "acquired rights".

Good! I don't drive a 7.5t at the moment, but have done in the past and may want to in future

Irrespective of when or how a driver obtains the Driver CPC, he/she must complete a total of 35 hours Periodic Training within the following five years to keep the Driver CPC valid. LGV Drivers acquiring the Driver CPC via acquired rights will have to complete their periodic Driver CPC by September 2014.

Bugger! No doubt that will be done by the department of transport and be expensive.... Sounds like another stealth tax to me!

It doesn't surprise me - over 3.5T has been missing from new drivers licences for a while now, and I cannot drive this category as they removed this from my licence when re-issued after a years medical ban. I'd had the category for years, but automatically it got removed unless I retook a test - which I didn't bother with!

Archived