Mac 300

cknapper

Hi all,

Think I know the answer to this but when servicing my Mac's today I fount out 2 of my 10 units have a faded Mag wheel. I tried to adjust these in the setting but they are still noticeable lighter than the others.

I tried to re-line the bulb as I know this might make these better but no Joy.

I think the units have been left on in Mag over night or something as they are 2 units next to each other on the same trip switch but didn't think they would fade this easily.

Any thoughts on this before we splash out on 2 new Mag wheels.

Carl.

When you take the wheels out of the unit and compare them to one of your known 'good' magenta wheels, can you actually see the colour-fading with the naked eye?

Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and buy a couple of new wheels - if they've faded, they've faded and that's that. Learn from the experience! Always plot a cue which puts the moving lights to a 'rest' state (50/50, all colours and effects out, beam open) when they're not going to be used for a while (breaks in rehearsals, etc.). Oh, and not leaving them on overnight helps, too :).

The output of the light on the white Cyc to all the others, but the wheel does look a little faded but not as much as it looks on the cyc (if this makes sence).

I know cloning is coming soon but when your off on Holiday for 3 weeks I carnt be in 2 places at once :)

Carl

I'd be very surprised if they could fade in this way. I have never seen any deterioration of dichroic filters even in old fixtures where the shutter is located after filter.

Swap between 'good' and 'bad' units and whether the colour difference migrates or not.

Are you certain that the lamps have not depreciated and gone slightly green?

If starting with a slightly green light source, then after passing through a magenta filter, the light would be "less magenta" then if starting with a true white light.

I have never known dichroic filters to fade, though my experience is with architecural lighting, not theatre.

Archived