Freelance Rates

Daniel

Do you think a good FOH engineer should earn more than a lampie as a rule. Do you think that it is more important for bands to sound good rather than look good?

I disagree with that. Take a look at a band like the Chemical Brothers. All mixing is done live on stage, and they send a L&R mix to FOH if I remember rightly... Then you look at their visuals, Tom has done an amazing job with them and the show is stunning. Why in this case shouldn't the LD/Visuals Designer be payed more.

So, as a rule, I think that doesn't really work.

For a band, theres the old saying "Nobody goes home singing the lights". But again, I think dependent on the band, what the lighting scale is required. Theres plenty of big bands who require good mixing, but don't like lighting... so the LD is limited.

My 2ps worth...

The job you are describing is House Lighting Technician.

If a band comes through with no LD, you will get to set up and run the show, usually with some info from the TM with regards to any specific requirements, often there are none.

If the visiting band are carrying their own equipment, you will be there to assist the touring crew and LD with regards to supplying them with power, rigging info, and helping fit your equipment into their show. Depending on the size of production, they may not want much or any of the house kit.

If the support act are on the tour rather that just there for the day, one of the touring crew will probably be operating their show for a little extra pocket money, although occasionally a support will have their own LD (done it a couple of times myself, sounds like an easy job, and it is, but my god the days drag on). If there are no touring crew, or if they just didn't want to do it, then you'll find yourself behind the desk.

As for rates, I think you'll find in this kind of position the client will tell you what the going rate is, you either agree or they find someone else.

When this job is done well, it can make a massive difference to the touring crew and LD. There are some excellent house guys out there, but there are also some who in all honesty you just want to send home because it's easier without them. When a visiting show comes through you are a facilitator, helping them to achieve their aims, not pushing your ideas onto them. When a band comes through with no LD, then your job is to listen to them and give them what they want.

Leggy.

Archived