New Lighting Board to replace Strand 300 series

JDLX

Hi All,

Basically our trusty Strand 300 died a couple of months ago for our studio theatre, and quickly got replaced with an ETC Express 125. Unfortunately I have heard a lot of bad comments about the desk with people not getting used to ETC's release function, and the lack of a rem dim and intensity wheel (among other things).

So I was just wondering if anyone would have any other suggestions for a studio desk to control 72 dimmers (with some overhead)? We are looking at no more than 4 grand ideally. We very rarely have any movers in the studio so it doesn't need to be great on that front. Preferrably after somethng that has local parts and product support as well.

Cheers,

Joe

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sort of tempted to say that as you can't get a "Strand" any more, your users are going to HAVE to learn a few new tricks on whatever you get. I like ETC (but less so the slidey fader thing) and doubt you'll find anything easier to learn in a hurry.

I'm sort of tempted to say that as you can't get a "Strand" any more, your users are going to HAVE to learn a few new tricks on whatever you get. I like ETC (but less so the slidey fader thing) and doubt you'll find anything easier to learn in a hurry.

Have you used any of their other desks? I have heard that the Ion isn't bad but haven't tried one myself.

What would really help the moaning would be if we had a proper intensity wheel on the desk, but I can't see anything that you could purchase as an add on; on the ETC site.

Have you used any of their other desks? I have heard that the Ion isn't bad but haven't tried one myself.

Ion is certainly worth looking at in this kind of environment - it is infinitely better than ETC express. It has a separate intensity wheel, rem-dim, and the channel capturing / release is far more intuitive than Express. In its basic configuration it will come in well under £4,000 and ETC has a great support base in the UK. Well worth getting a demo / trial arranged. If you have any questions about Ion (or Eos) then by all means ask.

Maybe you could be interested in an ADB MENTOR control desk. This might be an alternative to some of the other products on the market. The concept is reliable and there are currently desks running in the UK. The smallest version allows to run 120 channels these can be either generic fixtures (dimmers) or moving lights. The desk has 2 DMX outputs. With additional fader wings you can have to 120 physical faders on board.

Larry Busch

ADB

www.adblighting.com

I thing the zero 88 fat frog it may only have 48 channels but I have used it for 3 year in a theatre with 70 circuits it also has a soft patch function on it so it make life real easy and it trusty it can do most anything and it could be used as a touring desk. Plus point is that it also takes intelligent light on it if you get some. If I was u I would have a look and see if it could be used there

from Cons

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a bit fed up of people recommending Frog desks for situations for which they're totally inappropriate, seemingly because it's the only desk they know and they're also suffering from 'compulsive posting disorder'? :** laughs out loud **:

Cons - READ THE ORIGINAL POST. The author has 72 dimmers in their space, and they're currently driving them with a 125-channel desk - there's no way anyone in this situation who has an ounce of common sense and technical expertise would ever consider downgrading to a desk with only 48 control channels and an infuriating (to anyone coming from a 'proper' theatre desk) style of operation. And you'd have to be totally nuts to directly replace either a Strand 300 or an ETC Express with a Fat Frog, regardless of circumstances or infrastructure.

I thing the zero 88 fat frog it may only have 48 channels but I have used it for 3 year in a theatre with 70 circuits it also has a soft patch function on it so it make life real easy and it trusty it can do most anything and it could be used as a touring desk. Plus point is that it also takes intelligent light on it if you get some. If I was u I would have a look and see if it could be used there

from Cons

Cons: there are a few issues with your recommendation. The biggest of them being that Zero88 no-longer make the fatfrog. 48 channels is far too few when the OP specced 72 (softpatch is fine if you want to pair up dimmers, but quite obviously the OP wants to use all 72 channels independently!). The OP even specced over 72 channels, so quite clearly a 48 channel desk isn't adequate. I would hardly say that it's moving light control is much of a plus point, it's very clunky and difficult to use! Don't get me wrong, the frog series of desk (especially the current ones) are quite good in the right circumstances. It's just that in this situation, a fat frog doesn't really meet any of the specification points.

Just out of interest, have you had any experience of any other lighting desks?

Simon

Edit: gareth beat me to it! :** laughs out loud **:

The frog, while good for some applications (schools, small amdram, etc), is completely the wrong sort of desk for the situation the OP's in.. No where near being on-par with a Strand 300.

No command line interface, not enough desk channels (softpatching just isn't acceptable), no where near as good cue stack as a 300.. the list goes on. A Leapfrog 96 might fit the bill in some ways, but coming from a strand way of thinking, I'd hazard a guess that he'd want something at least similar.

An ETC Ion gets my vote too. Perfect filler for the strand 300 market IMO.

Cons, in future, please think about what your posting (is it going to be relevant/helpful to the OP and such) and attempt to tidy up the SPAG.

T

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a bit fed up of people recommending Frog desks for situations for which they're totally inappropriate, seemingly because it's the only desk they know and they're also suffering from 'compulsive posting disorder'?
Couldn't agree more Gareth!**

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I certainly wouldn't bother looking at the new strand desks. I know a couple of people who have brought the pallette (classic) which is suppposed to replace the 300 series I believe and they've basically been nothing but a problem. ETC sounds good, however have you thought about a Jands? I've seen a few demo's on the vista, looks pretty good, operates closely to a strand but I will admit I've never used one myself.

Nic

Moderation: Please note that in general, we operate a policy of only recommending equipment we have used on a real show - and this usually means that a quick button prod at an exhibition or seeing one in use isn't enough. The price of these controls makes casual recommendations a bit awkward.

have you thought about a Jands? I've seen a few demo's on the vista, looks pretty good, operates closely to a strand but I will admit I've never used one myself.

Personally, I don't think the Vista is a great desk to choose - it has a much different operating method to most consoles, you are reliant on a little grey pen that is ever so easy to misplace etc...

I would probably short list the following:

ETC Ion/Eos/...

GrandMA (Light maybe)

Compulite Vector

HogIII (although it STILL isn't finished software wise... come on High End!!!!)

All of the above desks have a fairly decent userbase (Compulite not so much) and are very easy to pick up, and all excel in theatre/cue list type work.

Archived