Alternative Mixer for a Musical

iamchristuffin

Hi All,

I've got a musical/play on in December - "The Kissing Dance" by Howard Goodall, and at the moment has between 12-18 Radio Mics, a 12 piece band, Shotgun and Boundary Mics. Our in-house mixer doesn't have enough channels to cover all that we need, so I am looking for a suitable mixer to hire.

Required Features:

• 37+ Channels
  • 8 Outputs
  • 5 DCA's
  • Preferably Mute Groups
  • Scene Storage/Recall would be a bonus too.

At the moment I'm looking at an M7CL-48, for two reasons - I know there are some for hire in the area, and I know how to use one!

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.....

Thanks,

Chris

I was just about to suggest an M7CL! Amazing pieces of kit. Had one in for our school production last week and worked like a dream.

WOW, wish I worked n YOUR school we have a 3rd hand spirit studio to use, and were a Performing arts Collage!

damn drama, stealing all the cash!!

A&H GL2400-32 - not only does it not have enough channels, it only has 6 ouputs as well!

I may also need a few channels for compressors, so this would take up more channels, but not on the M7, another reason why it's my preferred choice at the moment.

Chris

Just to save you a bit of money, if I remember rightly the LS9-32 hired by SLX come with an additional 32 inputs on the expansion cards, as well as the 'main' 32 inputs, which as you only say you need 37-ish inputs means you could have your main choice of inputs on the top surface, with a few lesser-used channels and returns allocated to the second page. I was looking at a M7CL for a musical last year, but ended up with a LS9 as I was getting it at a very discounted price (i.e. free) 'on demo'. It is simpler, but incredibly easy to use and probably has everything you need, saving money on the M7CL.

Erm, the fact that you think that you need extra channels for compressors, a piece of equipment which is most of the time inserted onto the channel suggests that perhaps you're not at a level on the foodchain of the events industry when you should be considering hiring in a ten thousand pound mixing desk which would cost about 2.3k (list) for 10 days. Tools not toys. So you don't feel too victimised, I'm not yet at a stage where I can justify hiring in an M7 for any of my gigs either.

Your GL2400, afaii, can do 6 pre fade aux mixes, also you can use the 4 groups independently, and you've got the LR and centre buses. That to me is a little bit more than 8 outputs. Added to that you've also got a matrix.

There are two ways to get around the fact that you reckon you've not got enough channels. One is to seriously think about how much of your orchestra in your college auditorium you need to mic up, and just lose 5 channels. The other is to just hire in a mixwiz and submix the shotgun mics and PZMs.

If you absolutely have to hire in another desk to fulfill your requirements (which I hope I've been crystal clear in saying I don't think would be a particularly wise use of your clients' money) then I'd either go for an ML3, 4 or 5000, MH2 or 3, or LS9-32 with 8 extra channels of preamps in on the adat. The M7, like the Midas XL8, will do what you want, but since you're not looking to satisfy a rider, then just choose the cheapest desk which you'll be okay mixing the show on.

All the best with the show,

Matt

What do you need the 8 outs for?

If it's for main PA with subs and Delays get a LMS.

If its for the Side Fills use the matrix.

If it's for mons use the 6 Pre Fade Aux's

Maybe a Full Channel List would help us chose an appropriate desk for you.

Plus it would be interesting to see your logic behind setting things up.

Josh

How about a smaller desk used as a submixer?

Sometimes it is really useful to externally submix; I've submixed the orchestra separately before, given a separate op a radio mic desk, and when short of inputs run the rifles from a mini desk sat ontop of the eqs/auxes for the orchestra.

Consider it, as a little 12ch desk will be much cheaper to hire.

compressors, a piece of equipment which is most of the time inserted onto the channel

Urrggghh, I feel like such an idiot!!

OK everyone, thanks for all the input. I think the reason I really felt the 'need' for an M7 was the recallable scenes - might help with only 1 dress and 1 evening (with no cast) tech rehearsal for a 3 hour show! I might just ask for another dress if I really need one!

Thanks all,

Chris

With a college show, using a cast and maybe musicians who could be of varying quality, then with two days of rehearsals having equipment of this quality level is plainly a great waste of resources. Do you have some super college venue with decent acoustics and facilities - do the cast actually project. With one exception, I have never seen a college production - including my own that didn't have grim sound simply because the combination of poorly controlled actors combined with a lack of rehearsal time to produce a mess. You're going to have a major feedback and balance problem on your hands if you are going to mic everything up 18 radio mics and a 12 piece band? I'm imagining it now. I do know that even with a pro show you need a really solid op,and lots of controlled rehearsal and technical time - and schools and colleges never have all of them. Tell me that you won't spend time stopping people, blowing down the mics, burstng into giggles when they hear their amplified voice, musicians who won't shut up and play the same twice running. The old maxim KISS is the name of the game for college shows. Having such expensive kit is plain daft! Sorry.

Tell me that you won't spend time stopping people, blowing down the mics, burstng into giggles when they hear their amplified voice, musicians who won't shut up and play the same twice running.

I know I won't do the first two. Despite the fact that they are students, (as am I) they are quite professional during rehearsals and performances. I hope I can say the same for the musicians, but I don't even know who's playing what yet, so I can't say.

Being really ignorant - what's KISS?

Thanks,

Chris

Archived