Allen & Heath ML3000 - Peak Lights and other issues

The Bomber

Hi guys and gals - first post so please accept apologies if any protocols are not observed! I did try and search Blue Room first but could not find anything relevant.

Anyway.... Lifted the flight case lid off my ML3000 at the weekend to do some monitor mixing at a festival, turned it on and all the peak lights illuminated and stayed on. In addition, the L, R, and C LED ladders have three lights permanently on in the centre of the ladder. And as if that wasn't enough, VU number 2 'ticks' from off to max and back, continuously.

Really not funny in the middle of a field two hours from home...

As a caveat, my equipment is really well maintained and does not get knocked about. The last time this board was used was in April, again to mix monitors, and was fine.

Before I get involved with A&H about getting them to have a look at it, I wondered if the assembled intellect here might have some answers.

Many thanks,

B.

Before I get involved with A&H about getting them to have a look at it, I wondered if the assembled intellect here might have some answers.

Could you send a signal through it? My first thought would be to check that an obscure switch hasn't been set to the wrong position (or possibly a strange combination of buttons pushed in). I would then check all the power supplies and internal connectors (but only if you know what you are doing with electronics).

Cheers

James.

As has already been suggested could be dampness as april was quite a while ago, Well to me it was anyways!

Take it inside the house for a few days and keep it warm - mite fix itself

Alan

I'd investigate the power supply first of all. The only issue I've ever had with my A&H desk was down to the power supply; symptoms of that were random flickering on all the channel metering LEDs. If memory serves, one bridge rectifier diode had gone open circuit. The folks at A&H are very approachable and very helpful so it's worth having a chat with them. Their boards are very easy to get in to and service which makes life easier too.

Good idea about taking it into the house for a couple of days. That would, as you correctly state, eliminate dampness as an issue.

A friend has the identical PSU, so I'll borrow his and that would also eliminate that avenue also. If it is the PSU, are these reasonably easy (cheap) to get fixed?

In answer to the other point up the link, no, I could not get signal into any channel. PFL was conspicuous by it's absence in that none of them worked.

And the thought of lifting the lid fills me with dread, so if none of the above two solutions work I'll contact A&H.

Thanks for the advice!

Before I get involved with A&H about getting them to have a look at it...........

Actually, I'd strongly suggest that you do phone them first. Of all the manufacturer's I've ever dealt with, A&H is one of the few who give almost instant, useful advice over the phone. They do not try and cover up 'known' faults, but appreciate that getting a desk working is a key issue for live engineers.

I was thinking about how companies are perceived, as various posters suggested A&H over a Soundcraft rackmount desk in another thread. Allen & Heath's willingness to listen, to help and to make useful kit has moved them from a term of derision on band technical riders to a major player, who in many areas are surpassing the competition.

Simon

I wouldn't do this unless there is someone around to keep an eye on it, U'd never know what mite happen, Highly unlikely but it could go on fire after being left on for a long time depending it's faults, Ie over heating etc etc - I Reiterate that this is highly unlikely to happen though.

Alan

Hi Guys. Took the board over to a friend's who has an RPS11. Plugged it in and lo and behold, my board is fine. So, now the problem is isolated to the PSU, can anyone recommend where I could get this fixed relatively locally (in East Anglia/Midlands).

Worth going to A&H first, or I note they have an authorised repair outlet in Cambridge?

Thanks.

Hi Guys. Took the board over to a friend's who has an RPS11. Plugged it in and lo and behold, my board is fine. So, now the problem is isolated to the PSU, can anyone recommend where I could get this fixed relatively locally (in East Anglia/Midlands).

Worth going to A&H first, or I note they have an authorised repair outlet in Cambridge?

Thanks.

Not necessarily, have you taken it back and plugged back into your psu? or plugged another rps11 flavoured board into your psu?

Archived