Glass bodied microphones

Johnno

I needed six mics for a school concert tonight but all I had was some lapel mics that tend to feedback alarmingly in our hall. So I found some thick-walled glass tubing that was big enough to pass a mini-XLR through, secured the mic at one end with a chemistry lab red rubber bung with a hole through it, wadded the tube with ceramic wool to stop the cable knocking, fixed the cable at the bottom with another bung, and wrapped the lot in silver Duck tape. Voila! Six hand held glass bodied radio mics. They worked fine too as closer to the mouth allowed lower gain :D :D

... with a plastic tube.

Before I did the glass stuff I took one of our cheek-mounted mics (CPC's finest 6.5mm diameter Chinese import @£1.25) and fixed it into a bit of laboratory clear-walled plastic tubing and wrapped it all up with Duck tape. Didn't like the result as it was bendy- not nice in a hand held.

I'm going to try one of our lapel mics in copper pipe next 'cos I've got rubber bungs that fit the pipe and I can polish the pipe and it'll look good. For those interested, the lapel mics are those which come with Gemini UF series radio outfits. They're a close fit in standard copper piping.

PS Uncle Matt: I posted in the Crew Room 'cos I thought the topic more "Gossip" than "Sound"

Edit typo

You may have controlled your feedback, but how did they sound? Do you have any method to have even a rough look at frequency response? I suspect you'll be a bit shocked.

Bob

If I read it correctly, you've re-invented Wogan's Blankety-Blank mic. An omni on the end of a handle. It only reduces feedback because the mouth is close in, but better than having one floating around a fair way away from the mouth. Works as well as any omni, I guess.

So what is the topic?

John Denim.

They're wasn't one - which is why I put it in the Crew Room. Mods moved it here, where it seems to have attracted interest.

You may have controlled your feedback, but how did they sound? Do you have any method to have even a rough look at frequency response? I suspect you'll be a bit shocked.

Bob

We've been having problems with our sound for the past three years. Anything audible has been hailed a success. Yesterday's sound was generally good and no-one has complained.

I haven't got anything much that would help make a freq plot unless I do it manually with the science dept's oscillator and 'scope. If anyone has the gear to easily check one I can loan one out in the summer holiday. PM me.

Can you take some pictures in intrigued?????

Will do next week.

If I read it correctly, you've re-invented Wogan's Blankety-Blank mic. An omni on the end of a handle. It only reduces feedback because the mouth is close in, but better than having one floating around a fair way away from the mouth. Works as well as any omni, I guess.

According to Gemini's website the mics are "unidirectional" so presumably cardioid rather than omni. The glass tubes were about a foot long and I was going to use them that length as they are high-temperature tubing which is dearer than ordinary glass tubing, but I cut them in half in the end 'cos I figured no-one will ever use them in the way they were meant to be used.

Hate to be a kill joy but what about the risk assessment? Mind you if they sang some leonard cohen at least they wouldn't have to look to far for something to slash their wrists on!

It's a thick walled tubing which is toughened for high-temperature use and the Duck tape should hold the glass together if one shattered on being dropped. No other problems foreseen as the choir is all-but-one girls and they behave themselves.

I've liked L.C. since he hit the charts of my youth and I'm still alive!

Archived