Getting Tour work

alex_kyuss

Hello I guess this is the best place to put this Post. Well... In the next 6 months I am going to relocate to london and I am looking at my possabilltys for work. I am looking for tour work with some small touring bands as a FOH or monitor engineer. I was wondering how to go about getting this kind of work weither it was best going to artist managment and offering my services or going to the usually rental companies? I would be very greatful for any advice on this question and any advise for moving to a new city and getting work.

cheers Alex

Guest lightnix

It depends what you want to do; if you're after work as an operator / tech, then check out the rental companies.

I see from your profile that you're in sound, so I'm not sure what you'd do, if you're after a more senior position.

One other tip (as mentioned in another current thread): If you're relocating and/or just starting out anywhere, then try not too be too choosy about the work you do (especially when the global economy is about to implode). Apart from sound rental companies, there are a good couple of dozen AV companies inside the M25, who use sound (and lighting and video, etc.) crew on a regular basis.

It's like this: The more work you do, the more people you'll meet and the ones you get on well with will become contacts :** laughs out loud **:

Eventually, possibly sooner than you think, you'll make a contact with a contact at a company you'd like to work for; in which case they may well say, "If you want to work for X, give Y a call and tell him I put you onto them". There's nothing that get's you through a door faster than a personal recommendation (as long as it comes from a trusted source); what happens after that is down to you...

In the meantime, it's polish up that CV, dust off that White Book and get dialling :o

Look forward to reading about your continuing adventures ;)

Gallowglass!!? Do you want to be pushing boxes and carrying Steeldeck, or be treated and respected like a sound engineer?

My corporate event experience has suppast, but I can't say I have ever heard of ringing Gallowglass for a sound engineer or lighting designer, unless they have branched out?!

The above advice is good, but if you want to get out there touring with small bands as an engineer, you simply need to get out there among the bands, be good at what you do and do it with a good attitude, network furiously (never go anywhere without a pocketful of business cards) and be prepared to work for rubbish money and less than great conditions. Working for small bands on the lower end of the touring circuit, you're unlikely to do so through a PA company as most small venues (I assume you're looking at the "toilet" circuit) will have an in-house PA, so as an engineer, you'll be working direct for the bands.

Also, have a look at http://www.tourconcepts.com and if you can afford it, buy the book as its a very useful guide to starting out at the bottom and working your way up.

Very seriously look at the map, and the tube and train map of London, see how you are going to get to places and get home. Also spend a LOT of time learning to drive in London, COngestion charge zones, Low emission zones, and parking and loading will all cost you dramatically. Get clamped and it's £200+ get towed and it's £500 Wrong sort of van and it's £200 a day inside the M25.

Learn to allow the right amount of time some miles can take an hour some can take 5 minutes.

My occasional journey from City Airport area to Croydon is an hour and a half of solid driving. There are lots of 7ft width restrictions, and no parking!

Cheers for all your replys all been very usfuly,

Jivemaster: London is a hell hole as fare a driving goes, and I can see take 18T lorrys arounds going to take alittle more planning then usual. But I think good planning on all accounts is a wise move.

Vbm: my plan as you say was basically to throw business cards at people untill they submitI think what I was hopeing was that I could do work for some of the rental companies to get proper money whilst working for ###### money for little bands.

JDP: I no what you mean about gallowglass as fare as being an engineer and pushing boxs around goes, but I thought its paid work in an area were no one knows me and the possibility to meet people in the position to give me better and bigger work and alittle hard labbour never did anyone any harm (the company who I work for now owns a load of EAW KF853 and as anyone whos used them nos the a little on the heavy side haha).

cheers everyone any more advise is very welcome I think the scale of moving to london has hit me, its alittle scary to be honest.

As mentioned, working in London is all about who you know!

Nothing wrong with doing a bit of box pushing either.....let the company know that you have a leaning to audio. I used to do crewing on occasions and frequently got "stop ons" as a patch master etc. when the need arose. It's also a great way to meet house crews who one day might be desperate for somebody to do a cover if someone is ill or on holiday....it does happen!

London is hugely expensive for everything; accommodation, transport etc.....car parking is ridiculous. I hardly ever drove unless it was outside the Congestion Zone or unless I could recoup the money through the job. The night bus map becomes extremely useful at times but to be honest I used to find the buses very intimidating in the late/early hours and would generally cut my fear and losses and shell out for a taxi or cadge a lift.

London is overflowing with techs and wannebes, so those with the right chops and the most easy going personalities win through. Get your face known!

Good Luck! :guitar:

Thank you for the good luck wishs I think I'll need them. that is pretty much the story I've been told "lots of wannabes and kids straight out of uni" which is why having a couple of years working full time in a pro enviroment and a clean Class C driving Licence will put me ahead of a lot of them? (am I right in thinking this or am I being very naive) I thought I'd ask as Charlyfarly said about telling companies I work in audio, would it been seen as unprofessional to maybe take a business card and C.V. in an envelope to give the companies I would be working for? and is there anyother staff agencies on the london area like gallowglass?

cheers for everyones help alex

If you have kit then lookat all the function band agencies for Christmas season work. The bigger the hotel the worse the access and parking!

Sternberg Clark do a lot of functions as agent for DJs bands soloists etc there are hundresd of others too

Showforce.com are in Stratford OK if you live near.

You really do need contacts withih an hour of your proposed home address and an hour home after the show! Night busses exist but are not for the faint hearted!

Hello Alex,

There are a variety of crewing companies many of whom operate nationwide. Stage Miracles, Showstars, Affinity, Connection Crew, Crew Co, Production House. Stagelink is a great resource, so have a little look on there. You will certainly find work as local crew, but I advise you not to undersell yourself. You may be content pushing boxes / coiling cable / stacking chairs(?!) for a while, but that environment isn't particularly conducive to the aspiring noise boy looking to prove his worth, if that is where your skills lie, so shouldn't be anything long-term. It is certainly valuable experience, which you should make the most of.

Also given the fact you already have a knowledge in sound, you may not neccessarily feel the need to head straight for the crewing agencies. As previously said, dust of the white book, and think about approaching the rental companies, Wise Productions, maybe Canegreen, SSE, Brit Row. Definitely worth getting yourself about in the run up to Christmas.

All the best.

That seems to be the right thing to do. Im planning on moving down at the end of october so I can be in london ready to work for the beginning of november (would I be better off turning up earlier?). As you said Jack, I don't want to be pushing boxs for the next 10 years, I am just looking for a foot in the door. I going to send a C.V. to all rental companies in the london area. and give them a ring to confirm. Im thinking of giving my notice in, in 2 months before I leave (I no this my seem a long time but Im trying to give my boss the best chance of replacing me and give me a great reference). Although I no im a good engineer (with alot more to learn !!!) I don't want to come across as anouther 23 year old who thinks he knows all! Because I deffanatly know how much more there is to learn and the list keeps on getting bigger haahaa.

Thank you for everyones advise its been reasuring me that Im not going to be on the dole after 6 months.

Guest lightnix
Im planning on moving down at the end of october so I can be in london ready to work for the beginning of november (would I be better off turning up earlier?)....

Yes, things usually start to warm up from September onwards, so it wouldn't do you any harm to move down a couple of months earlier if you can. A visit to PLASA probably wouldn't do any harm, either - it's a great place to put faces to names.

Thanks Dom I will indeed. thank you all for my help,I have taken it on board and am now moving down at the beginning of October (the earliest I can!) and im handing my notice in, at the end of this month. as I've said before any more help will always be great fully received cheers alex

Archived