Turbosound aspect series

Acdisco

We have been given an amazing offer to buy a very nice Turbosound aspect system comprising of

2 x TSW 218

2 x TA500DP

1 x MC2 E45 amp

But we were wondering before we part with our money, how good is it in comparison to everything else out there?!

Has anyone had any experience with this PA system? if so any problems or complaints. We are now working our way into the bigger sound market after a year or so of thinking about it!!!

(SCARY RECCESION TIME!)

How much better quality is it over the TSW 718's with TMS tops?

All of our other speakers are Turbosound TXD range and so far have been impressed compared to anything else in that range or value!

Any help would be greatley appreciated!

After this purchase we are most likely going to be building the systemup every 6 - 8 months until we get a nice tasty rig :o

Chers for any help ;)

Good boxes IMO. I'd question powered tops and non powered subs option though.

As for improvements over the others.

The 218s go lower than the 718's, significantly lower, below 50Hz from a 718 is difficult, and 218's are fine with this, even on their own. The difference between the 500's and the tms range of boxes is about 25 years. Alot has happened in 25 years. the 500's are a 141dB box which is at least 6dB louder than any of the tms range.

I know powered and unpowered is not ideal, but surely it cant make that much of a difference? also im taking what I can get!!

Cheers for the info, think ill probably go with the deal

As I said we have to make the jump eventually!

No doubt you are aware that the TA500DP is a 50x25 degree box? Used as one box per side, sufficient coverage may be an issue... (until you can buy more!)

I believe Simon West uses Aspects quite a bit - it might be worth sending him a PM.

Regards,

Simon Lewis

I've used aspect a few times before, and heard it a few times more, though I am used to the TA890 horizontal boxes, not the TA500.

I'd be concerned about running the boxes one per side, with only 50d horizontal you will likely find holes at the front edges of the stage, and with 25d vertical you may struggle to fill a sufficient depth of the room.

They sound good, clean and clear, though I have found they can lack the bite and punch that the floodlight range has.

I have an aspect rig with 218s and 500s

I think it's excellent, your welcome to come and listen if your anywhere near surrey

only possible negatives:

the 218s are big and heavy and fill a van very quickly

I think the narrow aspect sounds slightly better than the wide ( being a 5 way system rather than a 4 way thge bass is somehow better)

I was never a fan of the older turbo systems especially the 718 subs as I thought they vibrated the building without actually doing any punchy usefull sounds, the 218s are much better in this respect, but still not quite there if I was being a perfectionist - but it is all down to personal taste

that said I still bought it and still think its great :o

oh and another downside, after listening to the aspect you will wonder why you ever thought the TXD was any good ;)

Hi Ian,

We are off to listen to the PA today.

We have already heard it at Turbosound headquaters but these are ex demo so just need to make sure there are no issues.

As we wont have much scale wise, it may be good if we could chat Ian as I imagine we may need some of your kit :guitar: for any larger events we can get!

RECESSION PENDING!

Hi Ian,

We are off to listen to the PA today.

We have already heard it at Turbosound headquaters but these are ex demo so just need to make sure there are no issues.

As we wont have much scale wise, it may be good if we could chat Ian as I imagine we may need some of your kit :) for any larger events we can get!

RECESSION PENDING!

How did you get on, then?

And, on the sub hire front, I believe that Audio Forum in Bristol have got some TA-500s and TSW-218s see http://www.audioforum.co.uk/hire/showhire.asp?section=15

FF

Sorry!

My life tried to take over my addiction with sound systems! its all good shes in Las vegas now!

Yeah, looks like we are going with the aspect Rig.

it sounded very nice, very clear and so generally really impressed. (So right about the TXD's, but hey they allowed us to buy the new stuff!)

Looks like we have already got a few good contacts locally who are interested in hiring all/Part of it at regular intervals

(Just missed out on 2 jobs though! Bummer!)

Cheers for the link,

I am assuming his 4 stacks means (2 bass, 2 tops) as that is 8K?

God knows!

Cheers guys!

See, I'm not so sure. It says 4 stacks, and you'd assume that if we're talking aspect wide, that would be 4 tops and 4 subs (be them 718 or 218 or whatever). However, underneath it says above, with subs. This confuses me somewhat.

All in all it's over double the price you'd pay from myself, but I'm not allowed to advertise.

So rather than advertising!! what would you suggest a decent (your) price for the PA delivered lets say within 30 miles comes complete with baby sitter?

I already have an idea in my head for trade and joe blogs just need to see how it compares with yours :D

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I found this thread while searching for some info on the Turbos Aspect TA-500's, hopefully the original poster and people who replied are still reading the forum and can offer some advice:

I'm looking at the TA-500's as an option to upgrade my Mid/Hi cabinets (Looking for something to use above Labsub's so came to the Turbo TA-500's and F1 Res2's as the hornloaded low mid is usable to 90Hz, on paper...). Unfortunately budget dictates purchasing in pairs over a period of time so I’m looking to get some real world opinions on how well they work using 1 per side (mainly for live music), reading the details about the polyhorn technology it mentions a sharp drop off axis, is that the case in real use? can anyone offer me some opinions?

Cheers

Matt

reading the details about the polyhorn technology it mentions a sharp drop off axis, is that the case in real use?

Matt,

One of the really good things about this box is the precise and very specific drop off you get with the polyhorn. It does allow quite precise arraying.

I'd contact LMC for a demo...

Simon

Archived