theatrical flash paper???

torch1972

If you need to ask what it is, and what precautions you should take before using it, should you be using it at all?

Or is this a hypothetical question, for a school/college assignment?

It not a hypothetical question, for a school assignment. It a question from a technician who has not come across theatrical flash paper. I alway find I helpful to ask questions before, if you don't know something. It will not be used until I understand what it and how it works.

thank you for your concern.

Flash paper is paper that has been treated with acids to 'nitrate' it. It ignites very easily and burns rapidly with a relatively cool, yellowish flame leaving almost no residue or smoke. This makes it suitable, with appropriate training, for hand held or proximate effects (for example, by magicians). It is usually shipped and stored wet (a safe state) and needs to be carefully and slowly dried out before use. You may also come across flash cotton or string.

I hope this helps.

As you might imagine, the amount of heat generated is proportional to the size of the piece ignited. Throwing a crumpled ball from your hand is a relatively benign activity. Lighting a newspaper sized amount held in the (outstretched) arms is starting to get uncomfortable. Once you start using larger pieces for reveals or disappearances, the safety distances (and indeed the cost) increase dramatically! I have been involved with gags using large pieces where the radiant heat could be felt across the venue (akin to, if not more than, a line of flame projectors).

The method of ignition can dramatically alter the appearance of the effect...

Archived