Par 64 gels burning to quick?

raj

I recently got hold of a set of short nose par64 (500watt) cans which I wish to use to uplight the walls in a venue I work at.

They do the job great BUT im finding the gels burn out tooo quickly-id say within 2-3 hours of them being on!

Im using high temperature lee gels and have tried yello, green, red and blue gels-all give the same problem.

Any ideas?? :** laughs out loud **:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's lack of airflow over the gel, I've some cheapo cyc floods which have the same problem. As James said, some holes in the gel will help to let the heat out. If you've got a lot to do, go to an art and craft shop and buy a 'pounce wheel'. Depending on how many holes you put in, some white light will get through which will desaturate the colour.

make sense (why didnt I think of that!?! :** laughs out loud **: )

Ill give this a go and let you know.

Someone also suggested that I should not have them pointing directly upwards rather than at an angle against the wall..would this seriously make that much difference??

The heat is going to rise whatever; I guess if it's at an angle some might 'leak' out around the edge of the gel but I don't think it will make much difference. The old Pulsar PAR cans were bad for heat problems as there was no gap at all between the gel and the can, the gel 'frame' being integral to the lantern body.

just an idea... have you tried running them at a little less than full power, even something like 96% can help, and often extend the life of the lamp (bubble - before you start with the [pedant]s :** laughs out loud **: ). The only disadvantage is that pars tend to 'ring' or 'buzz' as they are dimmed...

if the cans are pointing vertically up, and are not likely to get knocked, sit the frames on to the usual runners, rather than slotting them in - this gives about 10mm extra air gap - giving me (as happened last week) 2 shows from a set using congo, rather than the 1 I got at the start of the week.

I cant dim them as they are just runing straight into 13amp wall sockets so there goes that idea. I cant just rest the gel either as there is the possibilty of them getting knocked a bit, or fall due to vibration from the sound system.

Need a better way to space out the gel from the lamp...

Try using larger pieces of colour and bulldog-clip it to two of the colour runners. Use another two clips directly onto the front of the can (so that they stick out underneath the colour) on the other two sides to act as spacers?

will give it a go this weekend and keep you posted!!

also, while were all here, have a look at my website at some of the images..

Destiny roadshow

Im looking to add something unique to the show as my local market is getting VERY saturated! Any ideas, suggestions??

You could also try heatshield gel. It's a clear gel, which reduces transmission of IR. Normally used to prolong the life of scrolls in scrollers, it might help you at least get through a gig. It's a shame you've got short nose PAR cans, the long nose ones would probably have been kinder to your gel as well.

Archived