How long was Amy Winehouse's Mic cable?

Mixermend

It's the industry standard pitch shifting & time stretching application used in studio's throughout the world!!!

The folks who make the Antares Autotune might argue with that, but I take your point!

Bob

Well, Either way - we can agree that one of those packages did it!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....................Let's face it, if Piers, Amanda and Simon were sitting at a little desk with three buzzers, she'd have managed about 10 seconds.

All the people who marvel at what a 'talent' she is must be seeing something in her that frankly, I don't. In fact - anybody looking and acting like her wouldn't get past the bouncers at even a half-decent nightclub!

Amen. <_<

I've just watched Amy's "performance" on the BBC Glastonbury site. Very lacklustre. When she went down into the pit....good move NOT. The lights of course could barely pick her out, naturally and the first few rows were treated to a private performance, including "Rehab" which was breathless (must be the emphysema) and out of tune. If you are going to get up close and personal to your audience you do run the risk of getting grabbed hence her lashing out. DOH!

I thought Duffy was much better and she actually sang better and communicated with the audience. Winehouse just wiggled, mumbled the lyrics, poor projection and what she was rambling on about between songs God only knows. Intimate ramblings don't work well at huge festivals, you have to project that personality *shakes head*

I know a guy who head-butted one on stage, Needless to say he came out worse than the mic, He had a forehead like a cheese grater with lots of lines!!!

John Otway?

(poor quality video)

Perhaps my 200m suggestion was misunderstood.

Well, I understood exactly what you meant. <_<

Drugs and booze may have a large part to play?

I have seen a couple of (rare) live performances where she actually sang in tune, but this girl has Issues!

Saying that it can be very daunting even for well known pop acts to sing in front a crowd as big as glasto.

Second the Duffy comment, she has a great voice and keeps her head together.

On another note, I love watching TOTP2 when some of the old 80's acts are miming into those mics with the wire cut off,

I think the concept of wireless was around then but hey, they would have to have mimed anyway!

Slightly OT, but does anyone know when wireless mics first came out? (cue...Bob.)

John Denim.

Shure brought out the "Vagabond" in the 50s that never really took off. Radio mics were around in the late 60s and 70s as used by Liberace and other Las Vegas style acts. The first true professional "touring" radio mic was made by Nady. They arrived on our shores around 1981. You see them quite often on early 80s footage of bands. They're recognizable by the white band around the lower third of the base. They had a recessed toggle switch on the base and 2 painted red and green dots to determine which was on and off!! You got around 3 hours on a single PP3 that was held in place by a small block of foam wedged into the housing. They cost a small fortune, I seem to recall, and they were extremely noisy compared to today's products. Samson came along in the mid eighties and they dominated the live market, as they had interchangeable heads and solid RF until Shure brought out their VHF fixed channel systems a few years later. You could pick up cell phone conversations with the Samson UHF receivers as they operated on 920mhz!!

Reslo made semi-pro radio mics as did EDC back in the day. I'm not sure about broadcast radios but the Mikroport series (SKM4031) has been around for as long as I can remember.

LWG

Thanks Guys,

A quote from shurenotes.

"Who was first remains a subject of some debate. Shure introduced The Vagabond in 1953. It operated on two hearing aid batteries and boasted a 700-square foot “Performance Circle” range. Sennheiser debuted the SK 1004 in 1962; that same year Beyerdynamic introduced the “transistophone”. And remember the cheesy television commercials of the early 1970’s for a toy called “Mr. Microphone”? That was a wireless mic."

Now let me apologise for stealing this thread!

John Denim.

rename this to 'slag off amy winehouse' ?

calm down folks.

I think that although her performance was disappointing, she usually does a moderately good job singing live.

she HAS got talent. She has brought jazz to mainstream music.

she came along before people like Duffy and Adele. record labels looked for a clean Amy Winehouse. and then found people like Duffy, now I am not saying in any way that artists like Duffy and Adele are copies of Amy (although there are some people who believe they are),

I'm just saying that Amy has discovered this knish in the mainstream market for this style music.

Surely we shouldn't be slating her for this?

without drugs and alcohol; she is one amazing singer with a voice that generates a lot of jealousy.

Okay. she may have had some slight tweaking in the studio, but theres nothing wrong in polishing a trophy.

this discussion has really gone off topic. why has it not been warned/closed?

as for the actual question.

very long.

where is the multi core/link to desk? if it was center stage then I would say her cable was at least 30M. she and others; such as beth ditto from the gossip went right to the side of the audience barriers stage right.

I have one simple question, if its allowed.

how come theres never any feedback when the artists go off stage?

they are sometimes right in front of the bass/infill cabinets and even (at other festivals), in front of the line arrays.

EDIT: its winehouse not wimehouse (shouldn't have the n&m keys together)

I actually at least partially agree with what Harry has to say.

She is a very very good singer, with alot of talent. She's certainly done alot for the music industry. Of course, when she puts on a performance under the influence of alcohol then this is a different matter and it's not worth watching or listening to.

Back to the technical side of things. The stage box connector would be right in the middle at the front I'm sure. As to why there is no feedback. Well it's fairly simple. The system is linear, no 1 frequency sticks out above the rest. it's never driven to a point where the cabinet frequency response changes, lets face it, with the noise restrictions you are never going to push these systems on these stages hard (let's not go into the discussion about how these sound better when pushed) so you still keep this linear response. There is no reason for it to feedback. Of course if it does start to get unstable, the FOH engineer can keep the levels down when she's not singing to minimise the chances. Also the system tech SHOULD have individual control of each box or each amp channel if more than one box is on any one amp channel on most of these systems nowadays so can adjust part of the system to suit. All this is trivia really as under normal circumstances you wont get feedback. I've had singers with wireless mics stand on top of subs and sing with a extremely loud and efficient top box (blue in colour) less than a foot behind their heads and not had a bit of feedback.

Anyone in the crowd on jazz world over the weekend will have spotted me swinging mics around and pointing them at the wedges about 18inches from them to try to induce feedback. it was only when it didn't do it that we moved onto the next mic.

The FOH system on the the Pyramid stage was provided by SSE who use the following colour codes for cable lengths:

Orange 3m

Blue 6m

White 9m

Red 12m

Green 15m

Yellow 21m

Therefore Ms Winehouse had a 21m cable connected to her mic.

Cheers.

RS

Archived