How long was Amy Winehouse's Mic cable?

Mixermend

It looked as though the Glastonbury Stage management and the Security guys weren't too pleased when Amy decided to come down from the stage to meet the audience! Something that intrigued me was - just how long was her microphone cable? Couldn't a radio mic have been rushed out to her - or would that have made it impossible to pull her back if necessary?!!

JG

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PA companies rarely supply radio mics these days as, like the previous poster mentions, they have a tendancy to get thrown into the audience, hurled into the pit or generally mistreated. If the engineer/band specifically ask for one then they normally have to bring their own. I'm just back from doing a band at Glastonbury today and we provided our own Sennheiser Evolution G2 handhelds which remained unscathed!!

With regard to Amy's mic lead, it may just be a case that she doesn't want a radio. A lot of vocalists like a cabled mic. Copper wire sounds far better than radio waves and the cable can act as a prop. (Swinging the mic around etc). Bizarrely as it sounds a a few vocalists enjoy getting tangled up in cables and wrapping them round wedges as it "looks rock 'n' roll" !!

LWG

I agree with the cable statement.

I myself prefer a cabled mic, its just what you get used to.

When singing without the guitar I like to loop it and hold it with my empty hand, it just gives me something to hold, my empty hand feels lost, afraid and alone with nothing to hold! (although I can't afford to swing it around!)

John Denim.

PA companies rarely supply radio mics these days as, like the previous poster mentions, they have a tendancy to get thrown into the audience, hurled into the pit or generally mistreated. If the engineer/band specifically ask for one then they normally have to bring their own. I'm just back from doing a band at Glastonbury today and we provided our own Sennheiser Evolution G2 handhelds which remained unscathed!!

With regard to Amy's mic lead, it may just be a case that she doesn't want a radio. A lot of vocalists like a cabled mic. Copper wire sounds far better than radio waves and the cable can act as a prop. (Swinging the mic around etc). Bizarrely as it sounds a a few vocalists enjoy getting tangled up in cables and wrapping them round wedges as it "looks rock 'n' roll" !!

LWG

They definitely can be used as props, Although I can assure u getting hit by a rogue SM58 would hurt quite alot!!!

I know a guy who head-butted one on stage, Needless to say he came out worse than the mic, He had a forehead like a cheese grater with lots of lines!!!

Your not thinking of the commitments film are you Alan?

John Denim. <_<

Nope, It happened about 2 years ago when I was still in school, We had some metal head on stage doing the usual head banging thing they do and he hit it!!!

I'll dig out the video clip if I can!!!

Perhaps my 200m suggestion was misunderstood. On reconsideration, maybe just cutting the cable at 6" like Top of the Pops used to do would have been best, then getting somebody who could actually sing and move at the same time to sing for her from the wings. Something about her performance suggests she may not have actually noticed. Let's face it, if Piers, Amanda and Simon were sitting at a little desk with three buzzers, she'd have managed about 10 seconds.

All the people who marvel at what a 'talent' she is must be seeing something in her that frankly, I don't. In fact - anybody looking and acting like her wouldn't get past the bouncers at even a half-decent nightclub!

Perhaps my 200m suggestion was misunderstood. On reconsideration, maybe just cutting the cable at 6" like Top of the Pops used to do would have been best, then getting somebody who could actually sing and move at the same time to sing for her from the wings. Something about her performance suggests she may not have actually noticed. Let's face it, if Piers, Amanda and Simon were sitting at a little desk with three buzzers, she'd have managed about 10 seconds.

All the people who marvel at what a 'talent' she is must be seeing something in her that frankly, I don't. In fact - anybody looking and acting like her wouldn't get past the bouncers at even a half-decent nightclub!

Wait...I know why they think she's great, It's thanks to a studio application called Melodyne!!!

Melodyne Homepage

It's the industry standard pitch shifting & time stretching application used in studio's throughout the world!!!

It's the industry standard pitch shifting & time stretching application used in studio's throughout the world!!!

The folks who make the Antares Autotune might argue with that, but I take your point!

Bob

Archived