ULX system US vs Europe

Hello!

I am about to get myself a Shure ULX wireless system with ULX1 transmitter(s) and ULXP4 reciver(s).

Thing is I can get this gear from the US for about 1/3 of what it costs locally where I am located in Sweden, but that the US gear has other frequencies than those suitable for Europe/Sweden!

So I wonder, what happens if I get the US gear anyway and use it in environments on the Swedish countryside etc - could this cause any trouble? (Would the radio police be on my door step within short?) If so, could I rebuild the US gear to fit in Europe/Sweden?

Thanks, palbin

Palbin,

If you use it in the Swedish countryside, and no-one notices or is affected, then pragmatically only your conscience suffers! You would probably still break the law though. If you do interfere with other legitimate users, you would cause problems, and depending upon how your airwaves are managed, have the "radio police" looking for you. In the UK, offences are usually dealt with by fines and equipment confiscation.

If the device needs a hardware change to work on the frequencies you need, it's probably not worthwhile trying to convert it. It is not cost effective for the manufacturer to do this (in another thread, Sennheiser were asking nearly the price of the device itself to change frequency bands), and unless you are a skilled RF engineer with appropriate test equipment etc., it's not a do it yourself job.

Simon

Hello!

Thanks!

I did in fact check with some radio people I realised I know and they said only really high powered transmissions on military frequencies could cause me any practical problem, and as Swedish military is right about to go out of busniess this should do it for me! <_<

In fact I asked Shure as well and they were surprisingly cooperative when I explained my plans and even sort of quart-suggested I should use the US setup as is.

Best Palbin

Archived