DMX PC Software

oligoon

I'm sure this is an old chestnut - so I apolgise if its been done to death - just point me to the previous threads!

I've got to do various gigs 7 shows and already have an old analogue setup - however to add some more colours I thought I'd try going digital!

I bought 12 led par cans and the JMB enttec open DMX adapter and installed the drivers on my pc - and tried it with some of the software provided.

to start with I tried the open DMX theatre - which was basic but at least proved comms was ok.

I then downloaded the chamsys MagicQ software. Wot a nightmare - obviously designed to be used on their console rather than with a PC. eventually managed to program the led can and managed to get it to respond to the lamp test button - but nothing else. this software is just too difficult to use on a PC - maybe its better on their bespoke console but not having windowsy type pull down menu's is totally crap imo.

then tried lights up - which was a bit more advanced than the open DMX theatre - but still not really what I want in terms of lighting for the band (would be fine for the shows).

after this I tried Stage console which I liked the look of but the usb/DMX driver was bugged so that the lamp would only light when one of the sliders was being moved. Is there a patch for this? I did try the website but it wasn't clear if there was a patch. and I'm not sure it gived me facility to program a number of effects and go between them at the push of a button I.e fx1 on pc button f1 etc.

any other software that people swear by - rather than at!

I then downloaded the chamsys MagicQ software. Wot a nightmare - obviously designed to be used on their console rather than with a PC. eventually managed to program the led can and managed to get it to respond to the lamp test button - but nothing else. this software is just too difficult to use on a PC - maybe its better on their bespoke console but not having windowsy type pull down menu's is totally crap imo.

Hi Oliver,

What problems were you having with the MagicQ software? There are many shows out there that are run from the PC version, including large scale shows. Once you have your LED cans patched, you can record a cue with them all at open white by going GROUP, All LED (or whatever they're called..), LOCATE, RECORD and click on one of the select buttons above the playback. To alter the colours this is done in the COLOUR window. FX can be added with two button clicks, and it is quite simple to create chases and cue stacks.

If you have any questions then please do email me - matt@chamsys.co.uk

Best regards,

Matt

I'll admit, at a first glace MagicQ is terribly intimidating and difficult/frustrating to use, but once you get the hang of it, it's a very powerful and flexible piece of software. I've used it to control everything from live theater to club-style moving light shows.

-Jeff

Although MagicQ can look intimidating on first use, its an extremely powerful piece of lighting control software. Considering you only have 12 led parcans, it should be fairly easy to get it going, and to output patterns. It even has its own inbuilt LED effects generator which is fairly easy to pick up as well.

I've used it with 8 LED birdies happily before, and never had any problems. A darn sight better than the fat frog which someone else used to run them!

Since you've already got the openDMX adapter, you really can't go wrong with using the MagicQ software with it, especially when its free!

ok guys - thx for the comments.

especially from the chamsys fella - oops feels a bit guilty now :** laughs out loud **:

I will try it again with your comments in mind!

Don't be. I freaked out the same way when I loaded up MagicQ on my PC (and even worse on my mac!). I still have yet to figgure that software out.

On the OTHER hand, Martin Searancke's LightFactory (www.lifact.com) I was able to get patched up, programming, and cueing immediately! I'm using it for my first time next week, and I have 100% confidence in the software, as I haven't been let down by it yet, not matter what I've tried.

Not very visual (software), but very easy to use, and intuitive as hell! :-)

Worth every penny I spent on it. (and it was a pretty big pile of pennies...)

Hi,

Would you not recommend the Magic Q software then, I am considering getting it but I have heard more than once that it is not so great...?

Thanks,

Dedward

ok guys - thx for the comments.

especially from the chamsys fella - oops feels a bit guilty now :** laughs out loud **:

I will try it again with your comments in mind!

Don't be. I freaked out the same way when I loaded up MagicQ on my PC (and even worse on my mac!). I still have yet to figgure that software out.

On the OTHER hand, Martin Searancke's LightFactory (www.lifact.com) I was able to get patched up, programming, and cueing immediately! I'm using it for my first time next week, and I have 100% confidence in the software, as I haven't been let down by it yet, not matter what I've tried.

Not very visual (software), but very easy to use, and intuitive as hell! :-)

Worth every penny I spent on it. (and it was a pretty big pile of pennies...)

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Hi,

How do you program the Magic Q desk? And is there any way to open an isf file with it?!

Thanks!

Dedward

Although MagicQ can look intimidating on first use, its an extremely powerful piece of lighting control software. Considering you only have 12 led parcans, it should be fairly easy to get it going, and to output patterns. It even has its own inbuilt LED effects generator which is fairly easy to pick up as well.

I've used it with 8 LED birdies happily before, and never had any problems. A darn sight better than the fat frog which someone else used to run them!

Since you've already got the openDMX adapter, you really can't go wrong with using the MagicQ software with it, especially when its free!

Hi,

Would you not recommend the Magic Q software then, I am considering getting it but I have heard more than once that it is not so great...?

The Magic Q software is very powerful, but because of this it often scares newbies. It's very much a real console ported to PC rather than a PC developed Windows style GUI. If your experienced in moving light programming and have used some of the common consoles out in the market then you should pick it up very easily. I wouldn't discount it without taking a little time to try and get your head round it at the least, it certainly presents excellent value for money!

How do you program the Magic Q desk?

No point in repeating it here when it's all written in the Manual, or for the basics in the Quick Start Guide.

And is there any way to open an isf file with it?!

Can't say for sure but I'm fairly sure the answer will be no. The standard show file extension is .shw and don't remember seeing the ability to import other formats, although I haven't looked into importing so it maybe possible. What console/software is the isf file from?

EDIT: Just noticed that there is some good discussion on Magic Q here.

If you need any information or help with Light Factory, please don't hesitate to let me know - Zero 88 are distributing Light Factory in Europe and are able to provide support and training as required.

I think the most common issue with MagicQ is that people use it on a PC so they expect it to behave like a Windows application, rather than what it actually is, which is a proper lighting console that just happens to sit on the PC platform. Once you get over that initial hurdle its much better.

I certainly installed it and then left it for a bit and then came back to it, invested some time reading the manual and doing some common jobs (about 8 hours for it to 'click') and I'm now a dedicated user, still on PC, but with PC wing and touch screen. I think that if you ever intend to use a 'proper' desk then go for something like MagicQ as your knowledge will transfer straight to a console, whereas knowing a 'Windows' styled app will leave you floundering.

yeah it was the ability to add a wing with faders etc that intially interested me with MagicQ.

have played with it a bit more and am getting used to it a bit more - managed to setup the sliders to do the 10 differnet std colours on the LED can. although I can't understand why output is taken from the last slider moved rather than adding up all the sliders as would normally happen.

I guess there is a setting somewhere for this.

... managed to setup the sliders to do the 10 differnet std colours on the LED can. although I can't understand why output is taken from the last slider moved rather than adding up all the sliders as would normally happen.

I guess there is a setting somewhere for this.

Would normally happen on what desk exactly? ;)

It sounds like your LED personality has channels set to LTP that you are expecting to be HTP.... you can change that in the personality, or in the playback settings.

But thats getting a bit OT ;)

You've probably got colour parameters rather than intensity parameters sitting on the playbacks, and colour (like everything else except intensity) is treated as LTP. If you don't know what LTP (and HTP) are, then you really need to find out before you start programming on a console as powerful as MagicQ.

Daniel, just to give you the method for Frog 2... it may (or may not) help with others....

Select the fixture and set it to 100% dimmer, full Red

Untag Green + Blue

Record (Smart Tags off) UDF

Repeat for Green + Blue

On each UDF, hold down SETUP + press the UDF flash button, then choose "UDF Controls..." and select "Colour".

Hope this helps

Archived