AKG D5

Doug Siddons

Odd that, like S&L this has popped up as I was looking at AKGs on an upcoming job, have heard and used the D5s and have to say, wasn't impressed, thought they were uncontrolled, delicate, and didn't sound much better than the cheap maplin chinease imports,

However, the AKG D7 is a fabulous mic, a bit more squeaky than a 58, but sounds loads more open and natural. Worth a long listen

had a phone call this evening from a local rock band wanting me to work with them. we were talking through gear in their inventory and the lead singer said he used a D5.. I think my heavy sigh was a little too audible on the other end of the phone. it appears that a local shop has been selling a lot of these as a better and cheaper alternative to the SM58.

It all boils down to preference really and like Chris4 I have no problem owning AKG kit and own a couple of D5 in preference to SM58. Not that I won't use Shure or any other decent mic I just prefer what D5 and the D7 produce.

Everyone has some fetish on kit and mine is a complete hatred of mics with switches, nothing else is guaranteed to get me cussin' and mutterin'.

"Whinehouse"?????

Archived