Shure Premier Compatability

James Remo

Hi there,

Bit of a long shot but I'm out in Madrid with a production, and the production company have sent out a Shure Premier Mk2 Handheld (U2) with a Mk1 reciever (U4D). I've been told the major difference between Mk 1 and Mk2 kit is the carrier frequency (or was it the whole wave?) for battery reporting (and the like) to the reciever. The reciever is picking up the rf and audio from the transmitter, but is suffering from drop-out. Is there any way of making the newer tx run on the older carrier frequency? (if I'm correct on the differences?) And, if there isn't (as I suspect there 'aint..) does anyone have a contact for a good, reliable rental house in Madrid? I have a few from google, but a recomendation would be better than going blind.

Thanks!

James

Is the dropout because of low RF or is the RF ok and the dropout caused by the lack of a pilot tone?

Assuming the latter, (and my experience is mostly Sennheiser so a bit of guesswork here) is there a way of disabling the pilot tone detection in the receiver? That's how you can force newer Sennheiser receivers to work with older transmitters.

RF is good, so it could be that the lack of pilot tone is causing the trouble (That's the term I was searching for, thanks!) I've been through the user level menus and can't find anything that might disable pilot tone, we tried opening the squelch right up to no joy (which as I understand is the width of frequency of the pilot tone the Rx will accept as a signal? Would I be correct in that?) So, is there a "Super User" level on these units? One that needs a special combination of button presses to get to? My google powers seem to be failing me at the mo...

And any recommendations out there? The venue has a preferred supplier, but their rates are a bit optimistic, to say the least..

Cheers

James

we tried opening the squelch right up to no joy (which as I understand is the width of frequency of the pilot tone the Rx will accept as a signal? Would I be correct in that?)

Normally, the squelch is essentially a noise gate - it passes the signal when there is sufficient RF present and mutes it when there isn't. I think that's seperate from the pilot tone circuitry which passes the signal in the presence of a pilot tone & mutes it in the absence of one.

Cool, ta for explaining that. I'm a lampy really (with a bit of a noise background, or background noise depending on your viewpoint) so kinda kicking around in the dark a bit. (pun intended - too much cheap Spanish larger)

Anyone got any more input?

Cheers for the help and advice, ended up getting a Sennheiser EW500 off a local company. Will be searching for more answers from my Shure / Rf guru when I get back, will post up any useful info I find out.

Archived