Help Sound Effect required

Neil Hampson

I an now fast running out of time (and patience with internet searching)...

I need a small sound effect of a bull snorting or ideally snorting and kicking up sand scraping the floor, as if preparing to take a run up in a bullfight, Think Cartoon! I originally thought this would be easy to find but I just cannot get anything like. I have tried my local libaries selections of BBC SFX discs, joined a few forums (including the freesound project, which in honesty is pretty good, just not for bovine related samples) and am now sick of google/altavista and limewire searches, I even tried youtube for any cartoons that could have used the sound, Speedy Gonzalis etc. I just don't know where to go next, I am very dubious of the sites that sell Sfx at about £7 a go without a proper sample but if that's what it takes...

Can anyone help?

Hi,

Back in the dim and distant past I used to make up show tapes for a professional puppet company and used to get requests for some very odd effects - the sound of bagpipes being stabbed springs to mind! The only way of doing it was to record my own effects. It's normally not too difficult, I used to use a couple of mics straight into a Revox B77 - that will show how long ago it was!

The fun part is trying to think up a way of creating the sound you want. Try to think slightly laterally, in this case try slowing down the effect of a horse snorting, or snort yourself and play around with that. You could have a go at scraping some different surfaces with the old favourite half coconut, adding a few taps for the pawing effect.

If you listen on headphones while trying this it can help visualise (auralise?!!) what the effect will sound like on playback.

I always used to have a ball wandering around the theatre hitting, tapping and scraping things trying to find the sound I wanted. You could then upload your result to the Freesound Project to allow other the fruits of your work!

Good luck and enjoy being creative,

John

I agree with the idea of recording your own. Unfortunately I no longer have them as I turned them over to the designer I recorded them for, but I recently recorded a lot of horses snorting and stamping using a Zoom H4 and a Sennheiser MKH60. It is a terrific SFX recording system as it is very small, and battery powered. The XLR input on the H4 had no problem powering the MKH60. I spent an hour or two wandering around the barns and paddocks and had a good variety of sounds.

Mac

What does a bull snorting sound like? Would your audience be able to tell if you substituted, for example, a horse? Maybe pitch shift it down a bit? My point is is that everyone has expectations of what certain things sound like. You couldnt' trick them on what an aeroplane sounds like, for example. But I would be hard pressed to tell if your SFX was actually a bull... so long as it sounds like what I think a bull should sound like.

HTH

I will have a go and try a DIY effect, starting with the horse as a basis, I am unfortunatly by no means a sound tech, I only ever offer to do any sound for this particular job each year.

As regarding David's comment, I honestly don't know what a bull sounds like, I was rather hoping when I started searching that I would download a few SFX until somthing came up that just 'sounded right' I don't think I've ever heard the noise I'm trying to reproduce, and so I suppose it's a resonable assumption that neither will the audience

Archived