Prop/curtain track twisted

tom w

Good morning Blue roomers,

I have already tried Hawthorns with this one, but no joy.

We are touring with a Disney theatre show which uses several flown curtain tracks. Last night one got twisted. It isn't my problem to sort it out, but I stuck my nose in and volunteered to try and sort it anyway (yes, I know, should have kept my nose out!) I am waiting for more info on the track, but was given to understand that it is a "standard" gauge. The track is approx 50mm square aluminium section with a 10-15mm slot. We are trying to source an external sleeve to splice the straight bits together, after cutting out the twisted section. I am aware that this may be US dims, so even more problematic.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks

Tom

It sounds like the stuff QDOS use for their swipe tracks, does it use sleeves to join the sections, and bent metal bracket to hold it up? Either someone here might know what the QDOS stuff is, or you could try asking them.

It sounds like the stuff QDOS use for their swipe tracks, does it use sleeves to join the sections, and bent metal bracket to hold it up? Either someone here might know what the QDOS stuff is, or you could try asking them.

Hi Peter,

The track is in single pieces, each approx 30' long. The top "o" rings are on a seam welded plate. We don't have any sleeves/collars to join them, as they all work as overlapping pairs. I am hoping that the tm will have more info (or sort it himself) by tomorrow. We load into Liverpool tomorrow morning and I am hoping that we can source it from there ( or possibly Manchester)

I will check out QDOS. This is not my field....just out for a walk in it!...So thanks for the help.

Tom

It sounds like P.C. Henderson's PACER track - we use it for motorised flown/tracked stuff and it's a fairly common choice.

As for a repair your best bit is any half decent fabricator who would be able to knock together a splice/splint/sleeve for it in no time at all as there are no "off the shelf" repair kits 'cause it's not useually breakable and cheeper to just replace.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to all Blue Roomers for helping my query

The end result was: Move the offending track to a different line where the twist is not an issue. They will address it when the tour returns to the U.S.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Tom

Archived