New Mixer

djsteviec

Hi. I work for an Edwards bar in Essex and they want a new mixer. They currently have an Ecler SCLAT but it is falling apart and the company fixing it want £600 to fix it. (personally I dont think its worth half that)

Can anyone recommend a new mixer of decent quality for around the £500-£600 mark?

Thanks.

Steve.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

which SCLAT model did you have (or rather, how many channels did it have)? how much did you pay for it originally?

I dont know the SCLAT well, but judging from pictures of them, I doubt you could buy something on par with it for £600. it looks like a very nice bit of kit.

which SCLAT model did you have (or rather, how many channels did it have)? how much did you pay for it originally?

I dont know the SCLAT well, but judging from pictures of them, I doubt you could buy something on par with it for £600. it looks like a very nice bit of kit.

It has I think 6 channels including mic channels. They are nice... new... but this looks like it is at least 7 or 8 years old. What about allena dn heath xone62??

It has I think 6 channels including mic channels. They are nice... new... but this looks like it is at least 7 or 8 years old. What about allena dn heath xone62??

Im guessing you ment to say an allen and heath zone x62. Well its a Dj mixer for a start, is this what you want?

Infact what exactly do you want? You havent told us how many channels you need, what features you need, what its purpose is going to be.

We need some more info first.

Rich

Im sorry. It don't need to launch rockets so to speak. just 4 channels, 2 for the denons and 2 for the technics and a mic input. Thats about it. Obviously eq on each input and of relatively good quality as they have djs 5 nights per week so will get a lot of use. 19" rack mountable. No bigger than 8u.

While we're on these mixers, does anyone know how to turn up the attenuation on these? Marquee sound, light and pyrotechnics went into the Romford one and I think they turned it down so that it peaked at a lower level which would trip the limiter to compress the sound at a lower volume. (Is that how it works? Im not sure what make limiter they have, just that the main outs come from the mixer into a 1u box with vu leds, which then feeds out and up into a Cloud zone mixer upstairs in the amp room.) At present we have had to bypass the mimiter unit as it is way too low but like I said before, the outputs start peaking with the eq on flat and the gain at literally 10 or 11oclock. The rough peak level used to be about 2 or 3 oclock which is why I think it might of been turned down. Am I making sense???

What about allena dn heath xone62??

Im guessing you ment to say an allen and heath zone x62.

Nope the OP was right, it is a Xone 62, well technically a Xone:62 but it's not a Zone x62.

Anyway your going to be lucky to pick an Xone:62 up for less than £600, although you will end up with a newer mixer. The Pioneer DJM 600 as suggested above is also a good choice, we've installed a few and they've proved to be bullet proof and within price range.

I must say that the pioneer is a very nice mixer, but I find that the channel sliders are too harsh with the volume curve. You bring them down a couple of lines and it kills considerable more volume than the ratio of the entire slider length.

I think we'll go for the allen and heath. I bought one for brannigans a few months ago for £640ish.

thanks a lot guys.

Steve

As regards clipping/limiting what's the setting on the amps?

Alot of DJ's I know like to have the master fader on the mixer as high as it will go, causing the led VU's to remain constantly in the 'red'.

I don't know why DJ's like to do this, but if this is the case it could be the mixer peaking and compressing as a result.

John Denim.

its usually due to a lack of technical knowledge, but also because DJ's tend to squeeze everything they can out of the units under their control, to achieve maximum volume. they like things "loud", usually not realising they're severely destroying the signal. the A&H Xone's faders dont have any headroom partly because of this :huh:

Nope the OP was right, it is a Xone 62, well technically a Xone:62 but it's not a Zone x62.

Anyway your going to be lucky to pick an Xone:62 up for less than £600, although you will end up with a newer mixer. The Pioneer DJM 600 as suggested above is also a good choice, we've installed a few and they've proved to be bullet proof and within price range.

Not far off though,

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Allen-~ID~6031.asp

£ 627.00 inc vat.

So if you can get the vat back, then it works out at £ 534

What about allena dn heath xone62??

Im guessing you ment to say an allen and heath zone x62.

Sorry, I was refering more to the

allena dn heath
Part.

Rich

I would recommend the 62 over a 600. Better sound quality, balanced DJ Booth Outputs, less easy to drive in to the the red and beyond, easier to service, better faders, much better turntable ground post that wont give up on you at the worst possible time. You could look at a 42 to save some money if you wanted.

Archived