Vari Lite VL2C lamps will not strike

dhhaudio

I purchased some VL2c's with ACS racks and a DMX interface, and plan on controlling them with a Jands event 416. I created a fixture profile with the library editor, 14 channels.

all the fixtures respond to commands from the console, but none of the lamps will strike. two of the lamps lit the first time I powered them up, but only once. I bought new lamps (ouch!) and still no strike.

fixture control channel 14 is lamp function, but it has no affect. am I missing something or is there a secret to getting the lamps to strike? also, does anyone know where to get gobos for them?

thanks, Dave

PRG Europe Vari-Image department should still have loads of VL2C gobos in stock, give Matt Wiseman a call on 0208 575 6666 to check for availability.

As for the strike problem I can't really help as I have only ever used 2Cs of a Artisan and not a DMX console. I would contact your vendor, if it was PRG give tech support a call.

Unfortunately this sounds like ballast or ignitor fault. If they're similar to the 2000 series there is an indicator LED on the ignitor side of the yoke (remove cover). No LED would suggest ballast. If not (and you know what you are doing) you could meter the input side of ignitor. Best call PRG service and check this firs if you have the option!

The control channel (channel 14) needs to be set at 99% for 3 seconds and then down to 0%. The transistion has to be by absolute values and not incremental (by fader or wheel). Similarly the douse command is 66% on the control channel. Certainly with avo desks, the fixture personality has a built in macro under the ML menu for the control commands.

I had a similar problem with some stock and a quick clean of the connections in the lamp holder assembly sorted out the problem. Also worth checking the pins on the 8-pin CPC connector on the side of the head. The pins do get loose over time and can get pushed back into the unit and not give a good contact.

Cheers

Bingo, I assigned a fader/bump to channel 14 with a high limit of 99% held the bump for three seconds and bingo there was light. I didnt think all 12 fixtures and lamps were bad. Now if I could get Jands to write a profile that would give me lamp control life would be grand.

thanks for all your advice. Dave

I purchased some VL2c's with ACS racks and a DMX interface, and plan on controlling them with a Jands event 416. I created a fixture profile with the library editor, 14 channels.

all the fixtures respond to commands from the console, but none of the lamps will strike. two of the lamps lit the first time I powered them up, but only once. I bought new lamps (ouch!) and still no strike.

fixture control channel 14 is lamp function, but it has no affect. am I missing something or is there a secret to getting the lamps to strike? also, does anyone know where to get gobos for them?

thanks, Dave

Hello Dave

id appreciate your thoughts on vl2c's.

I see from your posts that you have recently purchased some of these heads. I myself am currently considering buying a package, but cant quite make up my mind whether there is any milage left in these heads.

I have seen many shows lit with these heads, and they remain one of my favorites, but they are getting long in the tooth.

the application I am looking at for them would only involve occasional use, and nothing heavy and demanding like touring, but never the less I would like to avoid buying a system which will prove to unreliable to use.

finally, could I ask where you purchased your system, and to be really cheeky, what you paid. please email me at chris@impulseaudio.co.uk if you would prefer to keep that private, but that info would help me negotiate

many thanks

chris

• 2 years later...

Hi every body!

I am a new one on this forum.

Iam arthur oudin from france.

I am lighting designer,and I start to bee interrestin in lighting in 1998 with the old vl2c.

I ve 2 items on my house who I bought last year.

I ve also 1 repeater and 1 mini artisan 1 (just the desk not the computer)

I heard something who is possible too start a vl2c without control desk and make a test programe just with power and a adresse like 931 .....

Vl2 is fanning good and make a slow reset (during 3 min for a zero- full on XY) and after it's waiting.

Could you help me too restor it.

I just want too strike it and they will make a test programme or better too control it via DMX....

thanks for all

arthur

id appreciate your thoughts on vl2c's

Hi Chris:

I'm a Vari*Lite fan boy so this is a bit biased; However...

I'm a firm believer that the VL2C remains one of the best moving heads ever built. Granted, it's missing rotating gobo's, CMY Mixing, and a strobe (I think, it's been a few years) but to this day I would happily design a show using nothing but VL2's and VL5's. I'm firmly of the opinion that if you cannot come up with some pretty lighting without the aid of the 'gimmicks' then you shouldn't be lighting shows for a living. It could of course be argued that the whole moving head is a gimmick, but hopefully you see where I am coming from with this.

Having said that, they are a bit unreliable, and to the best of my knowledge, parts are a pain to come by these days. If you were to invest in a set then do so on the understanding that they are not going to last forever, and if anything, may only last you a couple of years at best. It would be sensible then to buy many more fixtures than you actually need so that you have a percentage of units that you can cannibalise for parts to keep the rest going. You will need some VERY good moving light techs, ideally Vari*Lite trained or ex VL staff to be able to get the most out of them though.

Also, buy some Smart DMX Units, in order to get the 2C's to understand DMX. They performed faster and better when talking Series 200 from a Virtuoso or Artisan in my opinion, but the reality is that to many, there are better desks these days for coping with the majority of lighting tasks. Don't get me wrong, I loved the VL Consoles, but these days I would rather use an MA. Again, that's my opinion and I would suspect that there are a fair few programmers and LD's that would (and could) easily argue that I was wrong.

I'm afraid I cannot remember the ratio requirements for Smart DMX to S200 units.

@aoudin

To control VL2C's with DMX you need a Vari*Lite Smart DMX Unit. I'm not 100% sure anymore, but a Smart Repeater Plus may also do the job (at this point my colleagues that can remember more about the Series 200 System Risers might like to jump in as my sieve like memory shows its lack of capacity :P )

Hope that helps

Cheers

Smiffy

• 6 years later...

Hello Zi am Chris and I have a series 200 VL2C light.

Can you give me a VL tech who could help us with DMX control to VL2C. I want to make one VL2C work with DMX from generic DMX control. Can I find a DMX converter made for this purpose? Do I need an acs rack also?

Do I need one repeater?

Help I M lost !!!! Chris Cotter yeser111@netzero.net

Archived