Broken projection screen

Jamtastic3

Hey all,

I've got a broken projection screen. It's a 2.5m x 1.5m spring loaded, rolling projection screen where the spring inside the rolling shaft has unwound. It means that the screen can now not roll itself back into the unit. Does anyone know where I could take the unit to, as it's a £400ish projection screen and we don't want to get rid of it!

Cheers

Ah thing is... someone left the screen in the venue a couple of years back. We started using it as our old one was discoloured and ripped (it was the type with a metal frame). So it would be great to get this one fixed again - just can't find anywhere to take it.

It also has no markings or brand name on it.

It is the kind of problem that the service technicians a one of the Edinburgh AV install companies may be able to help with - if you have a good relationship with any, call and ask for the service dept and explain your problem. At a quick memory dump, MCL, Metro or Savilles might be good one to try as a first sniff.

I know that one (not sure which) fixed a problem with a 15years old retractable screen in a church a couple of years ago which sounds similar to your problem.

Cheers for the advice but everything is good... me and the boss had another scratch at the theory behind the mechanics.

We had to get the roller wound with far more revolutions (turns) than the screen needed, therefore when the screen was pulled down, the roller still had tension from the extra revolutions. These extra revolutions created the 'force' when the screen was released to go back into the unit. So we managed to get the coil in the rolling shaft taught for the roller to work by pulling the whole thing apart (5th time) and winding it from the outside and then carefully placing the shaft into the holder whilst holding the tension. With the screen already unfolded, the force made the screen roll back into the unit. It took a good 2 hours, 3 guys and lots of head scratching but it works again!

I'm happy ;)

Glad you managed to fix it, but for future reference; the mechanism in those screens is the same as in rolling blinds.

If it fails again, find a company that makes custom rolling-blinds as they will have the tools & tricks to fix it.

Archived