Recomendation for replacement head mic

The Boogie Man

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'd rather do this than start a new one with the title "Oh no, not another headset mic thread!".

So, I currently use the CPC special headset mics, and they're largely very good.

However, in the summer, I'm possibly looking at buying a new rack of 8 channel 38 radio mics (probably trantec s5.3's), and at the same time would quite like to step up a level in terms of my mics.

Has anybody seen this site or used any of their mics?

http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmpsm.htm

They claim to be the OEM manufacturer for the electrovoice Re97tx and make the claim "As good as the countryman E6i or your money back".

Although American, they'll ship worldwide for free.

So, what do people think? Any other options? Would you stick with the CPC specials instead? Their pricing for the new interchangable cable ones is getting near the pricing for these now.

C

No personal experience, but...

The Microphone Madness mics were a fairly hot topic of conversation on the Theatre Sound mailing list a couple of months back. I didn't pay a huge amount of attention because I was travelling at the time--but my memory is that the rather hard audience to please of Broadway sound guys had some fairly positive comments.

I'm tempted to try them out next time I have an excuse but I'm not sure when that would be, so if you happen to have money to spend...

Bob

I'm tempted to try them out next time I have an excuse but I'm not sure when that would be, so if you happen to have money to spend...

Bob

Thanks for that, I've had a look on the mailing list and there are some quite good comments about them.

I guess the only worry is customs fees and all that malarky. Be nice if there was a UK agent - anybody? They also have their mics listed on ebay, which I guess might be an easier way to buy.

Will have a think as summer approaches and I've stocked up on channel 38 kit (got to sell a miniature steam train first to pay for it - anybody????). Any more experiences greatly received.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Bob

Thanks for that, I've had a look on the mailing list and there are some quite good comments about them.

I guess the only worry is customs fees and all that malarky. Be nice if there was a UK agent - anybody? They also have their mics listed on ebay, which I guess might be an easier way to buy.

Will have a think as summer approaches and I've stocked up on channel 38 kit (got to sell a miniature steam train first to pay for it - anybody????). Any more experiences greatly received.

Chris

I bought one from them offebay and it's been fine - needs a bit of eq but nothing more than any other mic I've used. Delivery from the states was not a problem, I think it arrived within a week and I didn't have to pay any duties or anything.

Nice to hear you've had a good experience.

Just a note about customs and excise when you bring things into the country. Although you weren't charged any duty, technically it COULD be levied. It's a case of "they don't usually worry about the small stuff". I've brought a lot in in the past as well and very rarely been charged. However, every so often there's a spot check and they send a bill. In that case, the worst you're usually liable for is the duty (varies from item to item but generally in the 7-15% range for electronic goods) and UK VAT at whatever the prevailing rate is. So...even if you get stung, it's not generally a disaster but they WILL want their money before they release the goods.

Bob

Archived