How high?

Moschops

I was just wondering if there is a specific height rostra can be before it needs barriers on it? At the moment I am getting alot of conflicting information with some people saying that any thing over 2 feet needs barriers, some people saying it does not matter as long as the actors are happy, or that it varies from venue to venue depending on their H&S.

Can any one clear this up for me!

If the public are going to use it then I would put a barrier on it if it was anything more than a large step. If it is only going to be used by people who are doing a rehearsed repeated activity and are familiar with the risks there may not be a need for one. You may however need some kind of barrier during rehearsals.

I hate to say it again but it really does all depends on your risk assessment.

For work platforms, AFAIK the magic height is 2m. If someone can fall 2m or more, a railing or safety line is required. The railing must have bars at 600 and 1100 mm from the platform.

Ike's comment about not needing one if an activity is rehearsed is commonly used in theatre. How long this remains the case is anyone's guess.

If you do end up putting a railing in, you could consider a couple of tensioned black anodised steel ropes fixed off stage for minimum visual impact.

For work platforms, AFAIK the magic height is 2m. If someone can fall 2m or more, a railing or safety line is required. The railing must have bars at 600 and 1100 mm from the platform.

I thought the new Work at Height Regulations said handrail at min +950mm, knee rail at min +470mm and toeboard min 150mm high?

AFAIK the 2m limit comes from construction industry regulations. The problem is that it doesn't matter how high the level is - if someone falls off it and hurts themselves then saying that it was only 1500mm high (or whatever) wouldn't be a defence. Like so many things it comes down to your Risk Assessment and control measures.

Guest lightnix
I wish somebody would mention this to a few rock 'n' roll production managers. I don't think I ve ever seen a barrier around a concert stage :o

Another answer comes from building regulations, it's 600mm in a house or 380mm in other buildings (actually it's the height of two steps or 380mm).

The best answer probably comes from 'Technical Standards for Places of Entertainment' (the yellow book) which says...

D2.15 A permanent barrier should not be provided across the front edge of a stage.

Note: The downstage edge should be clearly delineated where the drop is more than 600mm.

As the rostra will form part of 'a stage', I would suggest that 600mm (or your 2 feet) is a good figure to work with. If all sides of the rostar are open then mark them all.

The new Working at Height regs say that edge protection should be provided at any height where it is deemed necessary

This means the 2M rule is out the window and it is down to you to risk assess it.

The height of kick rails is now a minimum 150mm or 6 inches

I'm sure all the set designers will bear that in mind!

David

Archived